Use Roon for bass/treble controls?

One of my Roon endpoints is connected to an amplifier in a bedroom. This amplifier has bass/treble controls that I have adjusted to get a pleasing sound. It also has a ‘Direct’ mode where all tone controls are bypassed.

I’m after a ‘Loudness’ type of control where bass and treble frequencies are lifted when listening at low volume levels. Which filter in Roon would be the best one to use to accomplish this?

There’s none at the moment. Only linear filters are available as of today.
Maybe in the future?

1 Like

It is not exactly what you are looking for but I would think you could achieve this with a parametric equalization filter in roon DSP. You could then save that as a preset which you could enable/disable when you want to.

3 Likes

Which filter would be better for this purpose? Shelf or Peak/dip?

Tone controls, like Treble and Bass, are shelving filters so most definitely use Shelf.

1 Like

Loudness usually denotes an EQ which is more aggressive at lower volume and flatter at higher volume. This is to compensate for lack of bass or detail in highs at lower volume. This cannot be done in Roon.

As far as bass / tone controls these can be done in Roon but not as simple knobs. What you might want to start with is a smiley face EQ curve Smiley face curve - Wikipedia

Maybe someone here has an example with values to get you started.

1 Like

If you’re feeding a pre-amp there’s always Schiit Lokius.

1 Like

Or the Loki+, its little brother. I have it with my turntable and it’s a great little helper.

This is not something I personally do but a starting point shelf smiley face could be something like this. You could then tweak it to suit the characteristics of your own room.

1 Like

@ipeverywhere Thanks for the info, I’ll try the ‘smiley face’ EQ. My listening volume level shouldn’t change as there’s a threshold I can’t go above unless I disturb other people. It’s a very low listening level. Currently I’m using the bass/treble controls on the amp itself but want to give the EQ features in Roon a go to see whether or not the sound quality improves or not.