Usefullness of Auralic Aries

Hello

Whats the use of an Auralic Aries in the Age of Roon and Raat ?
I would like like to know, because I was offered one at a very good price, but dont see the use of it.

Thanks

RAAT is the protocol Roon uses to talk to the Aries :wink:

then… the Aries can stream from Qobuz (the streaming service I use), which Roon does not, and more services might come to the Aries much easily than to Roon (but hope to be proven wrong on this :stuck_out_tongue: )

Right now Qobuz seems to be the only advantage using an Auralic Aries with Roon.
Using a Raspberry Pi or even a Sonore seems to be more cost effective for the same result, but Qobuz.
Difficult for me to justify the price for the Auralic Aries to only use Qobuz as a benefit.

1 Like

First of all, the AURALiC Aries is a hardware device that generates an extremely well clocked output from different sources. In addition it can act as a server and can be controlled by a well designed iPad app. But this is just the creaming on the device.

For me, the Aries and Roon are a perfect combination.

I understand you.
I will get one for testing next week.
I want to hear the difference compared to the the Sonore or Raspberry products.
If there is an audible advantage I will not hesitate buying one.

I will keep the Auralic Aries.
Its a most valuable tool for my setup. I can use the AES/EBU XLR Connection of the Aries to my Dac.
Any USB connection using Roon is avoided.
This definitely helps sound quality.

I tried to use the Optical connection the Sonore Orbiter offers, but that connection is of low quality and introduces lots of jitter etc…

This is exactly my setup. AES/EBU from the Aries to my speakers (that includes DAC and amps).

Before I bought my Aries I have tried to build my own streamer / media pc. In total I have invested a lot (linear power upply, SSD disk, passive cooling, …) without beeing 100% satisfied with the result. Then I have tried an Aries and sold my device. The Aries is expensive but AURALiC did a great job.

Now, after testing it and with the experience I say its worth the price.
All other products try to improve or perfect the USB connection.
Thats in my view a futile undertaking.
You can spend a lot more on USB improvers, which are more or less worthless.

Being a stand-alone streamer allows the digital output to be fed to a subsequent digital processing device for room correction etc. For example a DEQX system. A streamer built into the DAC or other device will not allow such 3rd party digital processing. And while some processing units like DEQX are listed as Roon ready, you must make the connection via a USB cable which means server/computer must be in the same space as your music system. If you’re a purist that wants to play unconverted DSD or unprocessed digital, then go for a simpler solution like the new combined AURALIC Altair or other devices with built in streamer.

Yes.
I am not that purist.
I choose a Mac Book Pro, which is (more or less) quiet.

I found the AES/EBU Output from the Aries to be the best PCM sound I have heard, but my heart belongs to upsampled DSD in HQ Player so I sold mine. Glad you are enjoying it.

1 Like

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but:

Using AES/EBU, can’t you only go with PCM?
But what if you have some DSD tracks, then they have to be converted to PCM?
Does the USB out work connected to any DAC?