Using a Macbook as an endpoint

Hi Dylan,
The Core is installed on both machines (Mac Mini and Diskstation)
In my recen test I just switched from Mac Mini and connected to DS.

I can try and disable the Core on the DS, but I do not know how. Can you give me an indication?
Thanks
Ale

Thanks for clarifying that for me, @alessandro_niola.

In the KB article I linked above, it mentions the following:

Once your new Core machine is up and running, you can continue running Roon as a remote on the machine that previously ran your Core.

It is important that you “clean up” the machine that was previously running your database. You do not want the same database running on two machines.

We recommend renaming or deleting the Roon database folder on the machine that previously ran your Core. You can find the Roon database folder here.

Please make sure you have a backup of your database before deleting it.

For next steps, I’d like to recommend the following:

1. Locate your Roon database on the Diskstation according to these instructions
  2. Rename the entire Roon (or RoonServer) folder to roon_old
  3. Reboot the Diskstation, Mac Mini, and MacBook.

Connect to Roon via the MacBook again and let me know if you are still seeing the same behavior.

-Dylan

I did that, however as soon as I restart my devices (mac mini, MBP 2010 and DS) another “Roon Server” folder was created on the DS automatically

And If I disconnect from the Core on the Mac Mini I still see DS as an option :

Shall I totally remove Roon from the DS by erasing the Roon Server Drive ?

Hey @alessandro_niola,

Yes, try uninstalling from the DS completely and see if there are any changes on the MBP. I’d recommend making sure you have a backup of the database on the DS first. You can change the RoonServer_old folder back to RoonServer to access it to make the backup.

Thanks,
Dylan

Ok, so…
I removed Roon from the DS by erasing the whole folder. No more Roon on DS, no more Diskstation Core available.
However, still the same issue… grrrrr!!!

Thank you for giving that a go, @alessandro_niola.

I wish to offer my sincerest apologies for the continued difficulties. As I mentioned above, I have passed the diagnostics report along to the technical team for analysis. I am also going to send them details on the additional tests that we have done here since that will all be great data to aid in their investigation. I will be sure to give you an update ASAP when I hear back from them.

One more thing thing that will be useful for the technical team to know: Did you also remove the RAATServer folder from the DS Core? If not, can you give that a try for me?

Regards,
Dylan

HI Dylan, no problem, I appreciate your support
thanks !

Hey @alessandro_niola,

I had a chat with the technical team regarding their investigation and I have some questions for you regarding your Roon setup that should give us some additional insight into this behavior.

• Did you also remove the RAATServer folder from the DS Core? If not, can you give that a try for me?
  • Are there multiple Roon apps in your application folder on the MBP?
  • Are there multiple users on the MBP that both have Roon installed?
  • When Roon is running can you check activity monitor and confirm that only one instance of Roon and RAAT is running?

Regards,
Dylan

HI Dylan, apologies for my delay but I seen a week end off.

• Yes, I removed RAAT from core
  • No, I see one single Roon App on MBP
  • No, there is one user only
  • Confirmed, only one roon and one raat processes are running

Thanks, @alessandro_niola!

I’ve relayed these details to the technical team. I’ll be sure to update you when I hear back from them regarding their investigation!

Regards,
Dylan

Hey @alessandro_niola,

Thanks for your patience here as we’ve continued our investigation. I spoke with the technical team and they wanted me to reach out to you about one possible cause of this behavior.

Are the Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro using the same OSX backup?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan

Interesting question…I need to check that. They share the same Time Capsule for sure, but I think they use different backups. Will check once I am back at home and let you know
Thanks for keeping the investigation on, I really apreciate that

1 Like

HI Dylan,
I checked the backups and they are separate.
Both of them are stored on my Time capsule in the Data folder, but they are separate files with different names.