Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

No problem, happy to help.

The methods I shared in the first few posts are all about sending any audio through HQPlayer. Not just the mentioned services in the thread title.

Even analogue audio from a turntable using the ADI-2 Pro analogue input, like Jussi is doing. This way you get the best mastering (dynamic range!) from your vinyl and get to apply room EQ or even headphone EQ.

I tried to edit the thread title (even to fix a spelling mistake) but I lost ability.

Maybe @Rugby can help change the title to:

Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud

If that all fits :grinning:

2 Likes

yep, well using this hifiberry hats can feed any signal too now, but not automatic rate switching…anyway, i have this option :hugs:

Maybe @Rugby could shift all posts down 1 post, so I can create a new opening post and I can add the HiFiBerry option to list of options.

The opening post can then be a kind of reference list, for fast and easy access about all the methods.

With the 4 methods in this thread - I have personal experience with all of them. So I know how to get them work and I know the pro’s and con’s of each.

I don’t know much about the HiFiBerry though.

That’s the board which has the TOSlink input right?

You have it working right now?

1 Like

I can’t do the post thing as am not a moderator, I do have the power to change the thread title though.

Is now done.

Edit An liking the peaceful cooperative vibe here, it’s one of the forums better threads :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Didn’t know there was an overlord lurking around this thread.

I would have been on better behaviour :grin:

(bows, courteously)

2 Likes

Mine are just the powers that come from hanging around here long enough, I’ve had them removed for bad behaviour before so no need to put on airs and graces for me :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes

Where are my powers ! 2016 !! :grin:

I must have been a really bad boy (but can’t recall).

Here they describe their boards and options. They have anlog input too, but I do not have that one. https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/hardware/comparison-of-hifiberry-cards-for-audio-recording/

The board I got up and running https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/hardware/comparison-of-hifiberry-cards-for-audio-recording/ ot Digi+ IO. I am using it with Ropieee XL and NAA right now, feeding via Tos from Airport Express 1 :hugs: So using 44.1/16. Will work with NAA OS itself too. I have that DAC+ DSP too, but I am not smart enough to get it running. Maybe it is broken….

So you have RoPieee XL NAA feeding this TOSlink input through HQPlayer?

Can you share a screenshot of the HAT that you select from RoPieee XL?

This can be useful to others maybe.

I’ll add Digi+ IO to list of methods.

I don’t see Digi IO on this list:

well you use digi+ overlay in ropiee xl (or naa os, did not try myself, but Jussi was so nice to confirm input capability)

just as add-on the other pi

New RopieeeXL with his new Linux is still in beta right now. So, myself not on beta XL but old Linux.

Before you ask :rofl: I have to push the filter button on Cambridge to enabe x48….waiting for fw update from cambridge. so this is little chain right now. :hugs:

Cool thanks, I’ll add this to list of methods and link to that post and screenshots.

1 Like

I know you said no auto sample rate switching.

But can you manually set a different sample rate (if you wanted to)?

If yes, is there a list of options in HQPlayer ‘input’ menu?

Or it’s fixed to PCM44.1kHz only, all the time?

Not a problem with 44.1k Airport Express of course, but good info for others to know about limitations, to understand differences with different methods.

yes, using with AE1only so far. So did not try other Samplerates

Will let you know when doing test with other rates, e.g. by using Gustard U12 or so….

Edit: For starting and switching using HQPD Control. This opens switch to other Ropieee XL applications super easy :hugs:

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom

192 plays via Tos, but get partly noise in it for some seconds. However guess this is because of my environment here. This is the „funchain“ only. No expensive stuff using there. Need to do more experimemts please.

Playing with 192 of 176 source: nope, you have to switch samplerate. would have been too nice! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

176 in 176. Works . No distortions at all :hugs:

Apple Music Atmos - Mac in 48 and Hifiberry in 48 - plays, but have dropouts. would need more investigations please. >requires 44.1

Weeknd in Atmos again with 44.1 Mac and Hifiberry: plays :hugs:

So, I guess, where I had issues this is caused by my setup and not by that great little Hifiberry please. Only issue left: noise at 192… // tried some stuff but 192 still not perfect….however guess too much noise on fun chain here please

1 Like

Toslink at 176.4/192k rates can be flaky as it exceeds the original spec. There are pieces of hardware where it works perfectly. And many other pieces where it fails…

It requires better Toslink transceivers at both sides than original specifications. Then rest is about receiver side PLL locking capabilities and sender side quality. If you get noise at start and then it fades away it is because the PLL takes longer than usually to lock. So you get some transfer errors.

3 Likes

Thank you very much Jussi. Do not have a long enough cable to test Coax with the little hat. :frowning: Anyway using for 44.1/16 is my main purpose and very happy withi it :smiley: (it is just about 40 USD or so)

will do further experiments with HB Dac+ DSP too. As I got it already. But myself did not get this one running so far. Myself noot smart enough…Maybe have to switch the Pi version for that one. Someone wrote it is working with a PI2 easily…Do not have a Pi2. Once I catch a used one for little money, will update here. Dac+ DSP is interesting as it has a kind of resampling. though not a bit perfect one. It has a DAC and that DSP too. So, it is really worth, that I spend some time more on it imo. Or my hat is just broken :frowning: https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/data-sheets/datasheet-dac-dsp/ // super fresh thread about this, will try this weekend https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4595509978257

Thanks! I was sleeping.

2 Likes

Hi @Rugby , can you please allow me to edit the opening post?

Per discussion above.

Cheers!

Yes, you need to upload some software to the DSP. But such is not very useful with HQPlayer though…

1 Like