Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

Go to the big ‘Now Listening’ music thread and start replying to people about albums you don’t like and why you don’t like them and see what the reaction will be.

It seems, you really have some serious issues running?

No I’m trying to help people do something specific (see opening posts and thread title).

So I want this thread to stick as close to possible to that.

It can be complicated for someone to get this working with HQPlayer. Off topic posts can cause confusion.

Some of your posts are interesting to discuss but some don’t belong here in this specific thread.

I created this thread here instead of just posting in a different HQPlayer thread, to avoid clutter and help people find one place to discuss this.

If you start a different thread like ‘Why I don’t use Amazon Music HD’ I might participate but I don’t think it belongs here. Same for quite a few posts.

A couple off-topic posts is ok and normal but not continuous.

Anyway let’s move on from Amazon Music HD sample rates discussion.

my tipp to you: just cut your metadiscussions. this thread would really benefit from this.

As long as the output is bit-perfect, doesn’t matter. Especially if you have HQPlayer in the middle. You have complete reclocking. My use cases are mostly around Spotify and such. Maybe Apple Music is not any worse than Spotify.

But Spotify has some electronic music things I like. Now I can already listen DI.FM natively on HQPlayer! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i was thinking about this too with bitperfect. i listen what you are saying. however still not convinced by this argument. need to read more about this. there are some funny discussion on the web in regards to this.

Edit: at the here quoted Audiophilestyle article with measurements. There is CCK mentioned too:
"

1. Apple’s Music App, lossless streaming content, USB output with CCK - not bit perfect at 44.1.
  2. Qobuz, lossless streaming content, USB output with CCK - bit perfect at 44.1 and 192.
    "

A discussion about Jitter and bit perfects tests…have to read it myself…. What does a (M-DAC) 'Bit Perfect' test tell you about jitter? | pink fish media

What issues are you running into?

We’ve discussed multiple methods in this thread… methods I actually use…

well, my main usage is streaming. and i want to use HQP. next to other stuff. depending on, what i am up too. so, usage of vst or au sometimes.

using apple or amazon you need to use for me exotic ways to get them running with hqp if you want to have automatic samplerate switching. e.g. using additional hardware for that. i mean, you get a digital stream already to your device and still you have use such stuff? qobuz, tidal and hra allow easy integration of their streaming services. amazon and apple force you to use their applications and only their applications. so what are my issues, i want to use them both with automatic sample rate switching w/o the requirement of any hardware. so easy is that. but it seems to me, that neither amazon or apple want to support this for hires streaming.

Extra external hardware is easy in a way that it looks exactly like your regular output hardware would, and the applications in question don’t have any idea what is behind. So it works exactly the same as a DAC would.

1 Like

using qobuz, tidal or hra i do not require this for hires for usage with hqp…if you are on the road (e.g. hotel) how many boxes you want to carry with you? using one of those other hires services, you can just take your macbook with hqp desktop on it and a mobile DAC. That´s it.

Ok yes it is easy then - there’s nothing in this thread to help you with what you want here.

But let’s still try to help people that don’t have your precise needs :wink:

This is also wrong…

You can use Amazon Music HD on a Bluesound Node. 3rd party integration does exist. I know this because (again) I actually have it.

The UI is absolutely sh!t though and this is not Bluesound’s fault… it is the API limitation.

The Amazon app UI is significantly better… even with the sample rate resampling, it’s great for music discovery.

I guess I’m like @jussi_laako who happily uses of lossy Spotify and DI.fm

I’m not a sound quality ‘snob’ .

Discovering new music is very important to me (not just new releases but old releases that are new to me).

The official Spotify, Soundcloud, Amazon, Apple apps offer great music discovery features.

Even the official Tidal and Qobuz apps have discovery features not available in any 3rd party integrations and the official apps will continue to get improved over time. Track radio mode on Tidal is way way better for me than Roon. And I know why that is.

Yes, you can. You can do it with Sonos e.g. too. But did you take a look which samplerate/bitrate they are supporting? I am talking about Hires please. Honestly, so do they support 192 streaming via that Apis? Do you know it?

From what you’ve written about your requirements, we’ve established there’s nothing in this thread to help do exactly what you want.

Like I said several times already. Myself not using Apple Music or Amazon for hires. Because of this reasons. You asked me about my issues with them both, I answered. Still interested if Amazon is doing 192 streaming to Bluesound incl. automatic samplerate switching of course?

Yes you answered and based on your answer, I can confirm there is no solution here in this thread for you, based on the requirements you wrote.

I wrote about all the solutions in this thread because I use them all. Nothing in this thread will tick all the boxes you need.

As this thread has Qobuz and Tidal in its title…well those are checking my requirements…how about the bluesound please, as you have it and did mention it?

See this link below. This article has a discussion section at the bottom. That is the best place to discuss it if you have more questions.

I hate the UI on the Bluesound but this is not their fault - it is Amazon API limitation. I know this for a fact, not from reading but talking to Bluesound engineer directly :wink:

Even if the SQ is a bit better via Bluesound, there are lots of features missing - which are there in the official Amazon app.

1 Like

I haven’t tried the UP board input yet once I started over with my fresh HQPe install. I now have everything working with both my BS Node input and Roon to the HP setup using the ADI-2 dac. I plan to hook up the UP board input later today to try that out now that I know I have music working from the HQPe. I will report back on your suggestion for the new settings to let you know what happens with those changes.

I am using @jussi_laako HQP OS image, not embedded on Linux. So updates from me require a new USB key image process. But I get your point on just backing up and restoring the HQPlayerd.xml persisting the new INPUT edits. All good.

And once I wasn’t tired I figured out how to just copy the hqplayerd.xml file from my HQPe server to my Mac and edit it with Bbedit. A lot easier than using Nano I will say!

Look for a post later this evening with an update on the UP board settings check you requested @dabassgoesboomboom

Thanks for all your help in this process.

2 Likes

Michael, myself would love to know if Atmos from Apple Music is working via this way too…

@dabassgoesboomboom, I learned from you about Amazon here. Thank you for that. Maybe you consider to include Amazon in threads‘s title too?

2 Likes