Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

Thank you! Now I understand…the UpBoard has a special port which allows for USB input. Thank you again.

Is the difference between the UpBoard method and running Amazon HD, Virtual Cable and HQPlayer Desktop on a Windows 10 pc that the latter setup will not have automatic sample rate adjustment?

If so, are there any plans to add that feature to HQPlayer Desktop or this that technically not possible?

One can Remote Desktop onto the desktop application to control. Yes, a little clunky, but more economical if one already have a pc for that purpose or mostly listen from a local library and only stream on occasion.

2 Likes

yes, it is about automatic samplerate switching.

“One can Remote Desktop onto the desktop application to control. Yes, a little clunky, but more economical if one already have a pc for that purpose or mostly listen from a local library and only stream on occasion.”

Sure you can. But how do you want to feed HQPlayer with automatic sample rate switching? Remote desktop does not help you with that eiter. Seems you really need hardware to get this automatic switching…arrrgggg :rofl: (Amazon Music has a switch for “exclusive” mode, trying differen virtual cables in that mode. non of those switch sample rate automatically. and still if one virtual cable would switch, you are not in HQPlayer with switching samplerates too…that would be the next challenge…so, i fear hardware…++ maybe you get Amazon to switch samplerate on Windows or Linux?

++Edit; I guess I have to explore this way for Apple Music or Amazon Ultra… Can a local server stream FLAC to Roon? ++ Once you are in Roon, you are in HQP as well…Also Roon´s Squeezebox interface might provide options…? WaveInput plugin - SqueezeboxWiki +++ Whatever. If Apple or Amazon would not be so resistant to access their hires streams, we would not have all of this issues here. …Just my 2 cents on this. Or this one… Home · TheAppgineer/roon-entrypoints Wiki · GitHub

You can also switch inputs from HQPlayer Client or HQPDcontrol. No need for remote desktop.

yes, but not automatic samplerate switching… :frowning: for an album, i would not mind, but for a playlist from apple music or amazon music?

sometimes worth to take a look at Jussi´s webpage :rofl:

"

• UPnP AV Renderer
  • USB Audio Class 2 inputs
    "

Does USB Audio Class 2 input support automatic sample rate switching please? @jussi_laako

(HQ Player - Page 744 - Software - Audiophile Style // Bottom of page please)

Honestly, feeding audio equipment most prob worth thousands of USD for DAC, amplifiers, speakers, headphones and using great software like HQP BUT having cheap Apple China stuff for maybe 2 USD, CCC, in the chain?? Those are fun chains imo. Not really useable for hires at all. Upsampling Apple Music 44.1/16 via a correct chain has prob. better SQ. If you want Hires go with streaming services supporting this via a reasonable way.

Actually this question about Amazon Music HD is a funny one.

Amazon’s apps are notoriously funny for not supporting any type of ‘exclusive mode’.

Even on iOS their app just outputs a fixed sample rate, no matter what the album’s sample rate is. Same with their Windows app, even though the app has an ‘exclusive mode’ option in settings, it hasn’t worked for years.

So specifically with Amazon HD, there would be no advantage with having the Up Gateway.

Spotify outputs a fixed rate, so does Deezer, Soundcloud, most podcasts (music).

Up Gateway is really useful for me with Apple Music HiRes, Tidal app and Qobuz app.

The latter two is really useful when there’s a big new album release on a Friday and it won’t show in Roon till Monday :grinning: So I can just use the official Tidal and Qobuz apps directly. There’s other ways to do this obviously but since I have the Up Gateway, it’s quick n easy and no need for a 3rd party app.

But for me I bought the Up Gateway to mostly to use Apple Music Hi Res . But i also use it for Spotify, Soundcloud, Amazon, Deezer, music podcasts - all for music discovery.

1 Like

Yes, that’s largely the key what @dabassgoesboomboom has been talking about in this thread…

I have outlined three different ways to achieve automatic sample rate switching.

1 Like

Amazon Music “exclusive mode” on Mac - lower right corner

Amazon Music 44.1 on iOS:

Amazon Music 48 on iOS:

Yes, and it was very important imo that you did mention this other ways too after this post here: Using Deezer, Spotify, Apple Music, Qobuz, Tidal wtih HQ Player - #314 by dabassgoesboomboom

You need to look at what sample rate your DAC actually shows is ‘incoming’

Not what Amazon’s app shows you.

Like written above, myself not considering Apple or Amazon for Hires right now.

Did you actually read that thread?

Here is the OP:

Like I said, look at your DAC’s display - not what an internet thread shows.

1 Like

You are correct! But my internal DAC of iPad mini can not do 192. I picked the version with headphone jack. So what is Amazon playing to that headphone jack?? :rofl: Using services that allow to access their hires streaming it is much simpler. So for Roon: Qobuz or Tidal. Amazon or Apple for Hires is “Gefrickel” right now. In regards to running on mobile phones see my post above.

Of course - my DAC display tells me what has been known for years about all the Amazon Music HD apps…

Ok enough about Amazon Music HD in this thread please - nothing changed from what I wrote to hammer above.

To discuss more Amazon, please start a seperate thread and I’ll contribute over there.

Like written above, myself not considering Apple or Amazon for Hires right now.

That’s great but no need to write about that here?

This thread is about helping people pipe those through HQPlayer…

If you start with Amazon, I add to this. You are starting a nonsense discussion again, do you realize?

You can use Apple’s “camera connection kit” to connect any USB DAC to iPad or iPhone. These have Lightning-to-USB interface. So you get regular USB 2.0 and it works with regular USB Audio Class 2.0 compliant devices. And depending on cases, it is more clever than macOS CoreAudio on selecting matching output sample rates… (I guess it wants to avoid running rate conversions and mixers when not necessary to save power)

1 Like

Some people wish to use Amazon Music HD through HQPlayer, for music discovery purposes or maybe as their main.

Not everyone cares about resampling… Some do, some don’t.

This thread is just to help people pipe all audio through HQPlayer - not to judge about what is a good streaming service and not good.

This thread is not about ‘Amazon Music HD app on iOS is fixed at PCM192kHz so don’t use it’.

There are other threads to discuss such.

I use it for music discovery sometimes.

If you don’t that’s fine but I don’t see why there’s a need to discuss why you don’t want to use it in this thread.

1 Like

Thank you Jussi, I know. about this 2 USD China Camera Connection Kit. Would never put such a device into my serious chain. For fun chain it is nice. Amazon uses everytime 192 like @dabassgoesboomboom pointed out. So, Amazon and Apple are not really interesting for Hires. Apple on iPhone a tick more, but you see what issues you are running into when you want to route it to e.g. HQPlayer with automatic bitrate switching. And you have to use this 2 USD China Kit…