Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

Yes both input and output as BlackHole.

Do you have a Mac Mini? My mac mini is late 2014, and has 2 different jack audio, one for headphone and one for audio in. My mac mini har not internal microphone, and may be this is the problem,
The new models and my mac book pro har only one jack for everything, and of course have the internal microphone.

download

Yes 2018 model. I don’t know if this internal mic is the issue because I am selecting BlackHole input anyway

But maybe somehow is a problem that I can’t see

On your Mac Mini 2014 you have given HQP microphone privacy access?

Yes i give privacy access to Hqp.

I dont know where to check and fix it anymore…

Yes I’ve run out of ideas also.

Only thing I can think is you wipe Mac Mini 2014 completely clean, re-install everything and hope for the best.

You might still have same result but don’t know unless you try.

Be sure to backup everything before you wipe, if you try this.

Thanks… i will see :slight_smile:

Having the same Blackhole issue with my 2018 Mac mini.

Hi, anyone have “loopback” working on a Windows 10 PC? I am trying to play Spotify using the Windows Spotify App to HQPlayer to NAA using Virtual Cable, but not getting any sound. I’ve set input in HQPlayer Desktop to Virtual Cable and selected my Windows sound output to Virtual Cable. Thanks!

Do you get HQPlayer playback running?

Both macOS and Windows require HQPlayer to have “microphone” access permissions, otherwise the input doesn’t work. On macOS lack of permissions means HQPlayer receives silence from CoreAudio. On WIndows lack of permissions makes HQPlayer access to audio input fail.

This “microphone” part is a bit misleading, since it applies to all audio inputs, not just microphones.

Hi, I’m still trying to get it to work. I did check the microphone setting and it looks like HQPlayer4Desktop.exe already has access. Anything else I should try? Thanks!

Does HQPlayer playback start? Or do you get some error?

HQPlayer starts in the sense that the play button is pressed and there is no error, but the time counter stays at 0:00 and does not advance.

In my case, it doesn’t play. Hqplayer has mic permissions enabled in MacOS settings, though.

Edit: I got it working. Had to select audio:default in the dropdown menu, then press play. Nice!

Edit 2: However, I get distortion playing from Apple Music, but not Spotify. Sampling rates are matched up the same for both.

Edit 3: Found the problem for distortion from Apple Music - had to lower the in-app volume. It was clipping.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the tip. Got it working on Windows as well. In my case, with Spotify, I had to change to audio:/default/192000/2

Switched from Spotify to AmazonMusic to try lossless streaming and it sounds quite good. Is there way to tell in HQPlayer the quality of the stream coming in to it?

Or is there way to tell in the AmazonMusic app?

When you said sample rates are matched up in both, you mean the music content, Audio MIDI sample rate and audio:/default/XXXX/2 are all 3 matching sample rates?

If so, you shouldn’t get clipping even with all volumes maxed out.

If one of the 3 is a different sample rate you could get clipping.

This means for different sample rate music in Apple Music you would have to change audio:/default/XXXX/2 for each sample rate.

As mentioned in my opening post, Spotify is all 44.1kHz so there’s no changing required, so it’s more convenient in that aspect. Even their Lossless update coming looks to be CD quality not higher res, so same 44.1kHz sample rate.

Yes, matching means same across all three. I checked the sampling rate of the track played on Apple Music, and set the same across the driver and HQplayer. Hope that makes sense to you now.

Interesting. What is your HQP volume set to?

0dBFS?

Nope, it is set to -5 dB to provide sufficient headroom.

Hmmm ok, strange.

As I mentioned, I only get clipping in situation described above.

And no clipping for me even with Apple Music volume maxxed when all sample rates are matching. As it should be…