Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

regarding changing sample rate I have moved my Holo Audio Spring 3 towards the Mac Min M1 - omg that DAC is heavy for its size!
I have selected the Holo Audio as output target and everything seems to work: sample rate switching after selecting “none” in the upsampling sections, upsampling up to 1,5Mhz!
Couldn’t listen as I didn’t want to move my amp too but according to HQPlayer console display and DAC display everything is working like a charm.

So conclusion is that the issue is with the IFI Zen Stream as output target once another NAA is selected as input?

I will try to reproduce this NAA - HQPlayer - NAA getting stuck issue. If I’m able to reproduce it, I can also fix it.

I should be able to replicate the same setup. I have all the parts…

2 Likes

Thx Jussi, let me know if I should send you logs

You can’t conclude this until you test NAA OS image for output. That’s why I made suggestion earlier

You only tested Core Audio output right?

I will be interested to know what you hear (later) because I’ve been having issues with UP NAA input for a while now. Sound quality issues. Correct sample rate switching works as it should

When sample rates change, I get like ‘bad FM radio station’ or static sound, over the music playing. It’s not static replacing the music, it’s a combination music + static.

There’s not enough people using the UP for input, so i can’t get much feedback.

Even fixing output sample rate doesn’t help.

It wasn’t always like this - there was a time when it was really reliable , so I can’t track what has changed / broken.

Maybe I should try an old NAA image version on my UP Gateway because it was working for a long time. But I’m currently enjoying RME ADI-2 for NAA input.

1 Like

Regarding Core Audio - vs NAA, yep I have only successfully tested Core Audio but still without attached amp.
The original setup with UPGateway and IFI was working once only and I remember to have stutters there, couldn’t test further due to the mentioned issues afterwards.
Unfortunately I don’t have a PI or spare laptop.
I considered booting my MacBook Pro 2017 from an according image but remember having issues trying something similar before with the Stylus demo image one year ago - chipset wasn’t supported or so.

For now waiting for Jussi’s feedback, eventually later moving my amp there to give you feedback about statics but most likely not before this evening due to working hours :wink:

BTW, in fact I have flashed a new ramfs NAA image suggested by Jussi yesterday, so it’s not the one I used before

If you get things working later, can you play this Apple Music playlist below.

Every track changes sample rates. Play a few seconds of each track and then hit next track, going through playlist.

I’m more interested in what you hear coming out of HQPlayer, not just what you see on your DAC display.

Whenever you get things working

If you’re still using UP input @Michael_Grant can you test this same Apple Music playlist below? Play a few seconds of each track and then hit next track, going through playlist.

my curiosity won, have rebuilt some temporary setup around Mac mini M1 and am occurring heavy statics when playing Apple Music.
Strangely switching to Qobuz isn’t producing any sound at all meaning no music, no statics, no single peep :wink:

1 Like

BUt you can hear your music too right? Together with the music?

And the sample rate showing on your DAC is still working properly?

yep, the technical side seems to work but the statics are so loud that you can barely understand what’s being played

1 Like

But what NAA are you using at the moment on Mac Mini M1?

input: UP Gateway connected to iPad Pro
output: Core Audio on Mac Mini M1, M1 connected via USB to Holo Audio Spring 3
Only HQPlayer desktop running on M1

1 Like

And that’s with PCM output to your Spring3?

Try a simple PCM192khz fixed rate output for example.

Keep DSD variable/complications out of it (for this test)

And try a simple filter like poly-sinc-gauss

very bad statics, can barely hear any music, had also yet tried setting all filters to none, no difference

Ok I reported this months ago to @jussi_laako and you’re the first person to reproduce my issue.

I had same issue with 2 different UPBoard Gateways and testing with 4 different DACs (including 2 RMEs)

It wasn’t always like this.

Some updates along the way has made it unreliable.

I don’t know if its NAA updates or HQPlayer updates or both.

It used to work really reliably for me.

1 Like

Note also in your case, the volume dial is red.

You are clipping ? Check the “Limited” number displayed

Wind back the volume dial there?

Does that help or same issue? I guess same issue because you said Qobuz was sounding fine ?

UPDATE: changed the CCK to another model: no statics with no filters and 192k fixed rate…
will report further
hick-ups every 5-10 seconds

Play my playlist above which has alternating sample rates. This is a good ‘stress test’

Play a few seconds of each track.

unfortunately my headphone cable is too short to continuously play your playlist from my remote working place but playing the first 5-6 songs with my new CCK there’s no statics and no hiccups
I have removed all filters in HQPlayer and doing variable bit rate switching.
It’s working like a charm!
If I got the same results using my IFI Zen Stream I’d be a happy man!

When you said new model before what did you mean?

Which model failed and which model worked?