Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

@jussi_laako So I’m running into an issue now that I am trying to edit the hqplayerd.xml to add the UP board as an input. Essentially when I try to restore the edited .xml file the web interface immediate dies and can’t be recovered. I get a ‘the site can’t be reached’ error in the browser. I can ping the IP address of the HQPe server and I get a response. I have no idea why this is happening but here is my process for editing the .xml file:

1. Download the hqplayerd.xml to my local Mac.
  2. Open the .xml in BBedit which is designed for editing these types of files.
  3. Save the edited .xml, again to my local Mac.
  4. Restore the .xml to HQPe using web interface.

At the restore process is when the web interface dies. Rebooting doesn’t help.

Is this a file encoding issue? Bbedit shows the edited file as Unicode UTF-8. Or is it somehow in the syntax of my adding the INPUT ADDRESS string as per @dabassgoesboomboom for the UP Board? See graphic attached.

Are you running Embedded on Ubuntu or HQP OS bootable USB stick?

Embedded needs port = 8080 to access the web page.

I’m running HQP OS. This has all been working just fine. All I did was restore the edited .xml file that included the input address tag to cover using the UP board as an INPUT to HQPe.

Ah I see the problem.

See how the text your red arrow is point to is blue? And much of the other text is not blue?

Have a look at the quotes around UP-input and all the other quotes.

You have mix of curly quotes and ‘straight’ quotes. The code needs to be precise with straight quotes. I don’t know the technical terms for these different quotes and cbf googling it just now. That’s the best I can come up with :grin:

This happens to me when copying and pasting code from Mac to Ubuntu, over ssh.

So now I just type it manually in ssh.

Not that I have to do anything manual that often these days.

And for NAA input it’s not that much to type anyway.

So you use nano initiated from an ssh connection? I guess I can try that. I sure wish there was a way to recover my install without having to go through the entire process of burning the USB key again, setting up a non-root user, etc. etc. It’s really a pain. And my server hardware runs in a place where I can’t easily connect a monitor, keyboard etc. So now I’m back to doing a complete reinstall.

Is there anyway to avoid the quote problem when editing on Mac. I thought Bbedit would protect me from this type of thing. I think the issue might be that I typed this line first into Apple Notes to save it and then pasted that into Bbedit. So perhaps the answer is to just type it direct into Bbedit and see if that works.

And lastly: there’s no way to have ssh with a fresh HQP OS install since I have to create a new account, right? And I can’t do that without a direct keyboard/monitor connection to the physical server. Bummer.

/m

Well I use Embedded on Ubuntu. You should just do that.

I’ve shared all the steps on the Embedded thread, not really that long ago.

If there was, obviously I don’t know it :grinning: Just keep a sharp eye on the colours as a clue?

That’s correct. Updating Embedded (each hqplayer new release) is so much easier via Ubuntu Server.

No need for keyboard/monitor/mouse unless something really wrong happens with Ubuntu Server itself. Never happened to me.

I think my answer is to direct type the INPUT ADDRESS string into BBEdit since that preserves the UTF encoding of the original file. My error was copying the string from Apple Notes and pasting it into the .xml file where the incorrect quote format got pasted as well. Thank you for catching that as I would have been going crazy trying to figure it out.

No worries. Keep an eye on the text colours as a clue

And keep an eye on curly/straight quotes !

And you should be able to manage with the back/restore method with HQP OS

1 Like

That did it. All working now. Yes, of course, the color change in the text string should have been a clue that the format was off. User error. Again!

2 Likes

Great you made it! Congrats! :hugs:

All working now means you have iOS now playing through HQPlayer properly?

No, not quite yet. Just got to the point where I now have the UP board input successfully setup and integrated into my HQP OS config. After all this time I can FINALLY start to test what I went through all this for in the first place. And since I have Roon working with my RME I know that the audio path is good with eveything except the UP board input. And I also realized that I was supposed to change the OTG USB input on the UP board to DEVICE MODE based on a post by @jussi_laako That was new info for me. And there is no place in the UP BIOS where this is obvious!!! You have to keep the OTG USB to PCI Mode default and then change the setting right under it - can’t remember what that is called - to DEVICE MODE. Wow. A lot of little hoops to jump through.

But tonight I will finally test the iPad to UP Board Apple Music streaming input to HQP OS. Hope it works! :wink:

1 Like

Sounds good!

Once you have it working, don’t forget to please try that other settings I mentioned, to reproduce the issue I had. If you have time.

That issue has been driving me mad but as you can tell, there’s only a handful of people on the planet (on forums anyway) using UpBoard UAC2 input. So I don’t know if its me, my DAC or something else.

I have 2 UpBoards that have the same issue. And I’ve tried with 2 DACs.

Will do. I did forget about that. So thanks for the reminding.
:+1:

1 Like

Would be greats, if you could check too that Apple Music Atmos works too via this way.

Since the syntax highlighting shows the entire row as blue, instead like the other lines, there’s some issue with some characters there or something else. If the format gets corrupted, HQPlayer fails to load it and the web interface is not responding anymore until this is fixed.

1 Like

@dabassgoesboomboom So my initial attempt to get Apple Music streaming using the UP board input has failed. Everything looks correct in the HQP OS settings: correct INPUT setting being the UP board and my NAA output to my headphones. Tested streaming Apple Music from the Bluesound Node input to the HQP OS server to the NAA and that works perfectly. So I know the audio path is good. But when I plug my iPad into the USB cable into the UP OTG I get no audio when I start an AM stream on the iPad. The HQP OS log seems to indicate the input is switching properly. Just no audio. Here’s the log…

CleanShot 2022-03-11 at 10.42.46

Any thoughts from you or @jussi_laako on why this might be?

Still do not have an Upboard by myself. Did you try with another cable, Michael? Do you use CCK for the connection? “But when I plug my iPad into the USB cable into the UP OTG I get no audio when I start an AM stream on the iPad.” + Well, I guess you mandatory need CCK please.

I bought a USB OTG cable specifically for this use case. I am NOT using the CCK adaptor since I have another Apple-branded USB-C adaptor that has USB-A, HDMI, and USB-C pass through. Do I need to specifically have the CCK adaptor for this to work @dabassgoesboomboom ? I thought any adaptor than went USB-C to USB-A would work.