Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

I mean when you play/stop the UAC2 input on HQPlayer. Initiating playback activates the USB device and stopping playback deactivates it. Equivalent of plug/unplug event. (if you keep cable connected)

1 Like

Ah yes, all good.

We’re on the same page then.

@Michael_Grant, well regardless of progress with iPad and Up Boarad. You use a Macbook with M1 Max? Maybe you give a shot for HQPDesktop Trial running on it? Whatever, comtrolling Apple Music, that runs on Mac, via Sidecard on iPad is more powerful than iTunes Remote….

BTW the new iOS Beta from yesterday allows usage of mouse and keyboard from Mac seemless on iPad too :cowboy_hat_face: Most prob >same mouse will work with Sidecard too. Need to play with it. Comtrolling Apple Music, that runs on Mac, via Sidecard on iPad is more powerful than iTunes remote….

nope nope nope… :rofl: https://www.justmusic.de/Recording/Interfaces/Audio-Interfaces/RME-HDSPe-MADI-PCI-Express-Karte-58980 +++ But check the price!! @jussi_laako

Sorry, but I’m a bit lost on context. I have two RME HDSPe AIO’s though, for input purposes just like ADI-2 Pro’s.

1 Like

no prob. just if someone here is interested to get one for a reasonable price imo

Sure, but I wonder who would use MADI interface for home audio…

1 Like

Sonos Connect Gen 1 (used ca. 80 USD) using S1 via Coax Output works too. Using Hifiberry Digi IO+ with 44.1 samplerate for Input to HQP. So, this allows to use the Sonos Controller S1 App, if you are with Sonos. (Alternative you select Connect Gen 1 in Roon and pass via this way to HQP. ) ++ sounds cool :sunglasses: [Connect has analog input option too, for digital input to sonos world you need their soundbars or stream via Airplay. Myself only tried with Airplay. Grouping Airplay Sonos receiver with Connect works, so you can pass to HQP like described. But will most prob be Airplay 2. If you use Airplay e.g. from Apple Music to Sonos, Sonos Controller App can control the Apple Music App on iOS. Guess same for the other stuff, but did not try.]
little Sonos :hugs:

@Michael_Grant You could marry your Bluesound (speakers) with Sonos input for little money, if you want to….

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3459?language=en_US (list of music services with Sonos)

well myself producing music too. so using some stuff for musicians. all on hobby level only. and not interested in this interface. but, i guess there are other musicians that want to use their equipment from producing just for listening too. that is the reason why i am looking on the motu audiointerfaces too.

Sure, nice when you have a 16/32/64 channel MADI interface ADC/DAC such as this:

1 Like

Jussi!!! That is all expensive!!! :rofl:

@jussi_laako Been experimenting more with the UP Board input into HQP OS using my Mac since only that seems to work for me (vs iPads as previously posted). But it works inconsistently. Last night after getting it to work initially, I unplugged the USB from the Mac and the ‘Playback Inactive’ disappeared from the Mac sound panel as an output option. Which is fine of course as that is expected. But then I plugged it right back in and…nothing. No new output showed up. This morning I rebooted the Mac and set the INPUT in HQP OS to the UP board and then plugged the USB cable back into the Mac and PLAYBACK INACTIVE again showed up and I was able to play Apple Music through the UP board to HQP OS and then back to my NAA connected to my RME. BUT…there are issues. Here are some of them:

• After a while of playing the music through the UP Board input I get a big screen of what looks like errors filling the UP board screen output (yes, I have a monitor plugged into the UP board just to monitor what is happening). See photo below of this output. Once this happens then I can no longer play back music from the Mac. And plugging the USB cable back into the Mac results it in no longer giving the PLAYBACK INACTIVE output option. It’s as if the UP board running NAA OS has crashed or failed in some way. The log on HQP OS (see below) also shows that the ‘Up-input’ can no longer be found. And the login prompt for the UP board is gone. I have to do a hard reboot on the UP board for it to come back up.

The whole setup is quite unreliable and flakey, quite the opposite of what @dabassgoesboomboom experiences with his setup. Not sure if he is running NAA OS or HQP OS on his UP board input.

Thought I would share this in case any of this makes sense to you or there are potential fixes.

UPDATE: rebooting the UP board NAA OS device has allowed everything to work again, i.e. I can stream Apple Music from the Mac to the PLAYBACK INACTIVE output devices. Just letting it play to see any crashing issues appear again. Will update here with any new results. cc: @jussi_laako

@jussi_laako So playback of the AM stream just continued without issue. But when I went to change songs to another playlist, i.e. I navigated to the new playlist in AM and selected PLAY, the UP Board NAA OS crashed again and I got the same output as the screen shot above. So clearly there are issues with stability of this setup. I did nothing but change the song playback in the Apple Music app on the Mac. No cable plugging and unplugging. Just the music switch and boom.

Are you on “ramfs” NAA OS image, or “x64gen” HQPlayer OS image with the UP Gateway?

I’m on the just the x64gen NAA OS image for the UP Board. Running latest HQP OS for the server.

Note that this time I still have the login prompt on the UP Board. But I can’t stream to it any longer from AM even though the PLAYBACK INACTIVE output is still listed as available. But when I try to start the AM stream again using that output the AM app just beach-balls and then hangs until I force quit.

Rebooting the UP board results in PLAYBACK INACTIVE disappearing from the Mac sound panel - as expected - and then once it boots back up that output option returns, again as expected. BUT THE WEIRD PART is that I can no longer stream from AM to the UP Board. The playback shows the music playing on the Mac but I no longer see or hear output on the RME. I will try restarting the entire HQP OS server to see if that resolves this.

Can you show your Config web screen again?

You should try the ramfs NAA OS image like I use.

You cant change its name so you need to change “UP-input” to “naa” in Config xml

And if you have another others named “naa” unplug them for this test

Then your system will be same as mine

Here is the web config screen…

And…when I went to quit the Apple Music app on the Mac the rebooted UP Board crashed again…see output here…