Using ARC to just browse?

Hi All,

So I’ve been looking at our analytics and am very surprised to see a good chunk of users who seem to use ARC just to browse. I’ve been analyzing some logs and there aren’t a ton of patterns amongst sessions that do this.

So I’ve come here to ask you—do you ever use ARC and not listen to music? Is this intentional, or do you experience connectivity issues? If it’s intentional, what are you doing?

I’m perplexed! Let me know. :thinking:

Not permanently or very often, but I occasionally just browse to look up something while out and about, e.g.,

• In a record store to check if I already own a copy.
  • Reading up on an artist or album.
  • Showing something to a friend (recommending something, referring to TiVo/Wikipedia/Credits while discussing some music, recalling a concert we were at …)

(I could do most of this with the Discogs and Wikipedia apps or Google, but as Roon is the center of my listening and library management I often find ARC more convenient or at least it comes to mind first. Some things are only in Roon, like a „seen live“ tag on artists.)

6 Likes

What @Suedkiez says :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m the same as @Suedkiez although I do this quite a bit.

1. Checking what I have in my library (in a record store) - so I don’t buy two copies!
  2. Talking to a friend to remember an album
  3. Checking an artist and what they’ve recorded at a gig.
  4. Based on 2/3 adding a album from a streaming service to listen to later

Similar to all of the above.
Checking your own library as an ARC feature is often mentioned in the listening to music threads, often as a frustrating process as you can’t search offline.
ARC not exactly being the most reliable product I think quite a lot of people tend to keep it offline when travelling - which is when you have time to go crate diving. So you have to weigh up the risks of going online to avoid duplicates Vs ARC crashing, again …

I confirm what @Suedkiez said.
I would also add that if there was the possibility of exchanging the view from list to grid with large covers like in roon remote, I would use it even more in browse mode only

1 Like

As above. I may check to see if an artist or song is in my library if I’ve heard it somewhere while out. If I do not have it, I’ll usually l search it and add to library for later.

I use ARC to listen to music. And test since I’m in the Early Access group.

When browsing music shops and charity shop CDs I will often search for dozens of albums to see if I have them in my library
They won’t be played.

But I do play music on ARC while driving and traveling

Like others - confirming album details or ownership when purchasing physical media.

I also browse Arc at work to find music to then queue on the office Sonos/Spotify setup.

1 Like

Would really appreciate an overhaul to the Navigation of Arc including the option for grid view. I find the lists exhausting.

1 Like

Thank you all for the context. Very useful.

3 Likes

Yes, I use it as reference to what I have in my library when out and about. Especially when I am buying second hand stuff from charity shops and other vendors. I forget what I have sometimes and have doubled up. Other times to show people an album or band I like or just to look them up and add for listening later.

1 Like

Just remotely checking I owned / ripped album or not while I’m in Records store……

sometimes I’ll just use ARC to save a song for later (e.g. a recommendation from a friend or something I overheard), look up info on a song someone mentioned, or just to show someone my music tastes (i.e. “what kinda music do u like” → “here, take a look”, although I do sometimes wish there were a more formal way to do this)

Yes, I’ve used ARC to help match things when traveling and using my other 3rd party streaming apps (Spotify/Amazon).