Using DSP to compensate for L/R hearing differences

I don’t hear as well in my right ear as I do in my left. The difference is most notable with headphones.

I’m exploring using DSP filters to compensate. Is there a better approach than what I’ve done below with a Procedural EQ filter that bumps volume up by a couple of decibels on the right?

Thanks!

Yes, -db on left (minus 2 dB on left)

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand. Do you mean use two filters, one that reduces on the left, one that increases on the right?

Oh, I was too short on tongue, sorry

Just one filter, Disable the right +2dB and enable the left by -2dB.
Otherwise I would watch the dot from the sound path to not turn red so you will not have clipping. Or you could compensate with headroom.

2 Likes

I use speaker setup to do this. I measured with a mic the difference between the speakers. I think is due to my non symmetrical room and placement of the speakers. I have a 0.6 to 0.8 difference between L and Right with the right going louder. So I do this:

1 Like

Thanks. I wondered if you might be making this recommendation to help prevent clipping. I appreciate your help!

You are welcome, I hope some others have better insights.
Until that, enjoy

2 Likes

I have a bit of losses in left side, high frequency more so. Do you know if we can EQ left and right independently like fabfilter EQ allows? I’m currently doing the volume just as you explained so well.

Thanks
Rob

Welcome

I think to eq individual channels you have to enable that option. Hope it answers your question. I do not use roon anymore for this as I moved all dsp to HQP.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 03.34.15

sorry as you do not know when mouse is clicking.

1 Like

Excellent advice, I will definitely search this up.
Thanks

You are welcome

Is there a functional difference or some advantage to using “Speaker setup” vs. a Procedural EQ Volume filter?

The two signal paths are shown below. When using the Procedural filter, the conversion from source bit depth to 64 bits isn’t illustrated but it has to be happening and must be implied.

For my use case, are the two approaches identical?

Thanks!

Good question. Sorry I’m not able to answer.

I think the same. Since the 64 to 32 on both are at the end there must be 16 to 64 in both cases (I do not know why only one it is showing the 16 to 64)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.