Using Remotely Chord Poly as a Roon Endpoint

I am happy to be able to use Poly as a Roon endpoint anywhere the internet is available like public Wi-Fi or personal hotspot.
OpenVPN Tap (Bridge) mode enables Poly to be connected to the home network like a local device.
GL iNet recently released new firmware supporting OpenVPN Tap mode. So, I bought GL-MT2500A and GL-MT3000 to utilize vpn connection.

Here is my current setup.

TL; DR

Why?
I tested the various ways to listen the music remotely along with Roon Arc.

1. Roon Arc + USB C cable + Mojo 2
  2. Poly + micro-SD card + Rigelian
  3. Poly + mconnect + Qobuz

However, I love Poly directly with Roon server because it provides the sound quality I am satisfied with and the convenience I can be free from wire between a phone and Mojo 2.

What?
I bought GL-MT2500A for the vpn server and GL-MT3000 for the vpn client.
They provide one of the easiest ways to establish OpenVPN TAP mode connection between Poly and the home network.
The Synology drive I have provides only OpenVPN TUN mode. It enables only directly connected vpn client to be visible as a Roon endpoint. So it is not different from Roon Arc.

How?
GL-MT2500A should be the router assigning the Ip address to Roon server so that Roon server and other remote devices (Poly) connected to the vpn client can be in the same subnet.
The OpenVPN TAP (not TUN) needs to be enabled and additionally Remote Access Lan option is necessary to be on.
In my case, I connected GL-MT2500A to the ISP and move the current router under it. I changed the mode of the current router to access point mode in order to remove another layer of subnet and turned DHCP server off so as to use the same Ip address range from GL-MT2500A for both Roon server and Poly.

GL-MT3000 is the vpn client. Allow Remote Access Lan option needs to be on.

1 Like

What data are you using on the receiving end? Also, what is difference versus just plugging your Mojo 2 into your phone and using Roon ARC that way? I understand no wire to the Mojo 2, but you’re tied by WIFI to the MT3000.

I don’t quite understand your question. The answer might be the audio data from Roon server running at home.

what is difference versus just plugging your Mojo 2 into your phone and using Roon ARC that way? I understand no wire to the Mojo 2, but you’re tied by WIFI to the MT3000.

The convenience.
No wire from a phone to Mojo 2 at work is my goal as I am at home.
I don’t have to disconnect Poly from Mojo 2 when I get to the office. And when I leave my desk with my phone for meetings at work, it is convenient because I don’t have to disconnect the cable and also I don’t have to reconnect again when I come back.
And even though it is subtile, the sound from Poly with Roon server is better than Roon Arc with Mojo 2 to my ears.

1 Like

An iPhone uses cellular data to receive Roon ARC when out and about. I was wondering what you were using for Internet but I suppose you’re connecting to a WIFI router somewhere.

Yes. I mainly use the company Wi-Fi at work.
The setup using GL-MT3000 with OpenVPN works well with public Wi-Fi and even personal spot using cellular if the connection is fast enough to handle the audio data transfer.

1 Like

I’ve got the Beryl AX (GL-MT3000) and am trying to set this up myself. Can I confirm what you have set up as it’s something I can’t do right now with my VPN and I want to check we are trying to do the same thing.

In your diagram you didn’t show the Poly as a Roon endpoint (a possible option 4?), but you say that you prefer Poly directly with the Roon Server. Does this mean Poly direct to Roon and not using ARC? Is this what you are describing you have working?

If so I’m gonna try it

Yes, he’s using his at home Roon via the VPN instead of using Roon ARC. And yes, it would possibly sound a little different depending on what DSP he may be using at home and what settings he would be using on Roon ARC if he used that.

Where I worked my entire career for 34 years, we would be fired for connecting such as this to the corporate network, but it does seem like a good way to use the full Roon application away from home, if you have a free internet connection. I would use a laptop as Roon control.

Question: Do you have to pay someone for use of this VPN?

EDIT: I think this would be a good option for someone who has a large local library at home, not just streaming from Tidal and/or Qobuz. Also, to me, someone who wants to use a laptop or computer as their Roon control device, not just a phone or tablet. Finally, using it in a, more of less, permanent location such as an office or second home with access to a WIFI internet connection.

Otherwise, I think it’s not worth the bother vs using Roon ARC on a phone or tablet. That said, thanks for posting about it.

There is the Poly at the bottom left corner of the picture. There are 2 devices connected to GL-MT3000 wirelessly, the Poly with Mojo 2 as a Roon endpoint and a phone as a Roon remote.

but you say that you prefer Poly directly with the Roon Server. Does this mean Poly direct to Roon and not using ARC? Is this what you are describing you have working?

Yes.

If so I’m gonna try it

I hope it works for you.
Along with the Beryl AX (GL-MT3000), you need an OpenVPN server device providing OpenVPN TAP mode in the same network Roon server is connected to. So I bought GL-MT2500A for it.

I don’t use any DSP(now called MUSE) settings at home and in Roon Arc. I turned all off, EQ, Headroom management, and etc.

Question: Do you have to pay someone for use of this VPN?

No. GL-MT2500A is a VPN server at home. It creates my personal VPN. Basically GL-MT3000 connects GL-MT2500A through OpenVPN.

1 Like

I’ll take a deeper look thanks. Maybe the GL-MT2500A will be needed.

I have an Ubiquiti Dream Router with Open VPN, but not sure about being able to use TAP mode. There’s a service you can install on other Ubiquiti kit to get things working, but I don’t think it works for the UDR. I’ll try both options next time I’m in the office.

You can also test the setup at home.
You can simulate out of home network using the phone hotspot.
After turning on the phone hotspot, connect GL-MT3000 to the hotspot, and then connect the Poly to GL-MT3000 to see if the Poly appears in Audio of Roon Server Settings.

I’ve been away from home for two weeks with another week to go. Although I have 160 GB of Verizon hotspot data, I need to slow down a little. So, it’s Roon ARC via my iPad Gen 8 to my Mojo 2 and Focal Clear headphones. I much prefer my Dell laptop Roon server, but this will do for now.

EDIT: I guess I can use Roon on my Dell to look at my library, then play it using Roon ARC on the iPad.

EDIT: Using my iPad Gen 8 to play Roon ARC and my Dell Roon app to search what to play is working pretty well. This will get me through the next week without running out of Verizon hotspot data for the Dell.

EDIT2: This is working so well, it may be my “go to” Roon solution when away from home from now on. Roon ARC is working flawlessly on my iPad 8th Gen (4G) and doesn’t use any hotspot data.

1 Like