Valence Art Director in Roon

Unfortunately Roon is moving towards a philosophy of product standardization much more than in the past and personal tastes are taking a back seat to those of the community (and this is a perfect example: those who love logos and those who hate them. Everyone should be given the opportunity to choose the image directly and not by voting. Instead it is the “community” that chooses for you).

This example, such as the management of metadata and other features such as the shuffle controlled by the tastes of the community listening, demonstrate how Roon chooses for you and you are not in control of the program (and more “nerd” you are, more you want having the ability to edit your music collection, more you clash with the program).

A message from Joel a few days ago clarifies even more what Roon’s direction is.

Unfortunately this is making me fall out of love with Roon.

I try as much as possible to take care of my library through external software and not modifications in Roon. This is because if one day there will be a viable alternative to Roon (with a customization philosophy like Jriver, for example), I want to be ready to migrate while losing as little data and changes as possible.

4 Likes