Valence Art Director in Roon

Ha ha ha! That is funny! I love that logo too and I think it is maybe one of the only cases where I don’t mind the logo instead of an image. But most logos seem to just be the band’s/artist’s name written out without any design.
I did not realize that the images only had a few votes. I was thinking that there were more people voting on them. And that is a good point about the public launch vs. the beta testing period.
My thinking is that there are always going to be people who prefer the logos and that giving users an option to choose logos or image avatars would be a win for both if it was not too complicated to implement :grin:

pls stop voting for logos. 90% photos and 10% logos looks really bad i think… and also in general i don‘t like them logos

5 Likes

I do like them, and it’s what I’m voting for. For my collection I have about 70% logos and 30% photos and it looks great. I’m working really hard to make it 100% logos.

Aha, so its you?! We have a problem then, because I HATE logo’s… If your voting influence manages to switch all my nice color pics to logos, “Valance Art Director” is not working right. In fact, as nice as the idea is, I’m beginning to think I should just search out local images rather than have “the community” control my experience.

5 Likes

No I see I am fighting a fight I will never win, but I like the fact that I’ll look at My collection and it will be a little different every time. Even before I fell for the logo look I only ever picked black & white photos.

lol, I find this behaviour extremely disorientating tbh.

5 Likes

Logos are great to quickly locate a band… Let’s face it, we don’t spend much time there… Where we do spend time is listening to the music and browsing the artist/album information and enjoying the display of a great relevant picture that catches the spirit of the band… Logos will work for me if they are clear.

1 Like

This to.me is why this venture is very flawed. In my opinion do not let the public be in charge of such things. Especially with the Roon fanbase as it’s like herding cats. It will end in tears and lots of ■■■■■■ off users.

I don’t want my images changing every time I come to use Roon because someone else wants this or that. I don’t want to have edit photos of bands that before had an image that worked ok and now that doesnt. It’s part of that reason I chose Roon so not to worry about this stuff but now I do. I now see more badly formatted images than ever before, more bad just bad choices than before. I am sorry and might be the minority but this stuff should not be democratic.and left to the community. It needs proper curation and already aligned images Allow a choice to choose your own as it always did if you don’t like it but don’t force this to a vote or your stuck with it approach.

It’s all a nice idea but you will never get decent control out of it, some will care and spend an age on it to be overruled by someone else, some will not see their bands change at all and will be forced to edit themselves or keep crap images, some will edit a bit then just give up as it’s boring and ask why am I doing this ? and some will leave it to everyone else in hope it sorts itself out. I hope I am wrong and the democratic process works here and we all get beautiful libraries without having to work hard to achieve them. But I just can’t help but feel we wont or at least not permanently.

12 Likes

I think the ability to quickly and easily Lock a preferred image would be helpful for those that want it. As quick as the Heart to favourite a track…

3 Likes

Unfortunately Roon is moving towards a philosophy of product standardization much more than in the past and personal tastes are taking a back seat to those of the community (and this is a perfect example: those who love logos and those who hate them. Everyone should be given the opportunity to choose the image directly and not by voting. Instead it is the “community” that chooses for you).

This example, such as the management of metadata and other features such as the shuffle controlled by the tastes of the community listening, demonstrate how Roon chooses for you and you are not in control of the program (and more “nerd” you are, more you want having the ability to edit your music collection, more you clash with the program).

A message from Joel a few days ago clarifies even more what Roon’s direction is.

Unfortunately this is making me fall out of love with Roon.

I try as much as possible to take care of my library through external software and not modifications in Roon. This is because if one day there will be a viable alternative to Roon (with a customization philosophy like Jriver, for example), I want to be ready to migrate while losing as little data and changes as possible.

4 Likes

I think that as the vote counts start getting much higher clear winners will rise to the top and won’t change anymore. It will probably take some time more time for less popular bands, but it will settle with a choice most will be happy with.

1 Like

And remember there are also those who don’t care one way or the other about logos vs pictures etc. I’ve noticed I’m seeing more band photos, a compilation album switched pictures for each track. All good.

1 Like

I read the thread regularly but I may not have read everything.
An independent tool like Valence Art is very interesting to facilitate the integration of photos to the Roon public database.
But for those who, like me, have their photos for private use (no copyright problem) and do not wish to have them replaced by those in the public database, is there an option?
Is the fact of not choosing Valence and changing a photo equivalent to a “private database”?
I have the impression that Roon did not ask my permission to replace many of my photos… or even borrow them. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Depending on the routines used by the server, photo masks (list of dimensions or centering of artists, etc) may be shared (?)

I also do not like that images are constantly changing. That is why I started adding more own images. Can I be sure that image that I add with Edit+Add image is not shared to others?

1 Like

Yes, the image only exists in your local Roon database and not uploaded to the cloud.

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly. I ended up spending Bank Holiday Monday editing local versions of artist artwork because I was fed up of things changing and, in particular, with the appearance of logos.

4 Likes

I wholeheartedly disagree for what it is worth. I got very tired of the same old photos for every artist, especially where they were ancient or of poor quality.

The rotation of images is a great thing IMO. I voted for the original feature request that said we should have more variety in the artist images that Roon provides. And would definitely support the continued development of this feature.

4 Likes

I like VAD and the idea of the value that can be added by the community, in my spare time I add or edit some images. The better quality images, the better. I am curious what the future brings in community driven features and maybe Roon evolves in a even more lively music database.

I do not mind if images are switching now and then, only I do not care about the logo’s. I am a frequent visitor of live music and when I visit a band I care about the people behind the band and not the logo. Logo’s don’t make music. Furthermore, I do not like the imbalance what this mixed view causes (images and logo’s). If there should be a place for the logo, then in the artist page.

4 Likes

The issue of logos does appear to be quite specific and divisive - I, for one, dislike seeing them but equally respect that others have an opposing view. Could they be tagged as such in VAD, and then enable a user preference setting built around this tag?

1 Like

I agree that many images were not great, but some of the new images are not great (resolution etc.). The tipping point for me was to see photos being replaced by logos.

To be honest, I’ve quite enjoyed selecting my own for local usage. What would be great is to be able to add avatar, wide banner and narrow banner to one’s onw database!