Valence Art Director in Roon

Yes, at last the cache has been updated and some disrespectful logo’s from for example Lou Reed and Iggy Pop are replaced with images.

2 Likes

There are still a small number of logo’s among my most played band’s, but these tend to be the lesser known Doom and Black Metal band’s. The image’s that are there do not fit well, so I will try and find some images that do fit if easily available.
It’s good to see changes I have made in the recent days already showing through, that does give people incentive to help the improvement process.

2 Likes

I was looking through the images available for David Bowie, and the great body of work available - could Valence not serve different images for Artists based on the period for that Artist? So David as Ziggy at the right time, Serious Moonlight image, etc.
This also work for The Beatles, with the mop hair & 4-button suits for the early stuff, vs the long hair ‘hippy’ look for the late 60’s/70’s.
That would be really cool.

2 Likes

This could be difficult to implement, but the idea of multiple quality images that change over time or possibly based on what you are/have been listening to appeals to me. Though maybe not others.

Some want photo’s from the bands peak and not the latest versions that were often shown previously.
It’s going to be an interesting ride.

1 Like

This occurred to me too, plus cycling artist pics in the now playing screen - there are so many pics being uploaded, it seems a bit of a shame just to use one or two of them.

3 Likes

That would be great. Could the announced “Quantum Timeline”:

Quantum Timelines
Help distill all the data about your favorite artists into a timeline about their lives.

be a part of it?

1 Like

Could be, but you would need to be dating/ageing the pictures as they are being gathered & groomed, now to be able to associated them with a period of an artist and the material that was being played.
So ‘Bowie in the 70’s’, ‘Bowie in the 80’s’, Bowie in the ‘90’s’ etc.
I have a number of Playlists (recovering them from my 1.8 B831 → B880 disaster zone) that span the breadth of work from a number of artists - it would be lovely to see the artist artwork correctly associate with the contents as the Playlist is processed.

art director is great. almost all artists have a better picture now. amazing what the community has done in this shot time!

5 Likes

Seconded. Kudos to @danny and team for staying the course for the first few weeks & bugs, and trusting the wisdom of the crowd. Yes I’m annoyed by a lot of little things, but the overall look is better and better and I feel it’s “converging”.

Now I really really hope that the community will start “filling in the holes”, though I admit I’m still gunshy about uploading photos of which I don’t know the provenance. Art Blakey Quartet anyone? Alan Lomax? Albert Ayler Trio? We will get there.

2 Likes

So, I am am finished with Valance for the time being.
I have uploaded photos for all the Artists I was missing photos or where no good photos were available (imho) and voted for the most (but still not all). Let’s see how it plays out after the „cache run“.

Some of the photos I like the most are from Annie Lennox, Robbie Williams and Dido.
Some of the worst are from Celine Dion, Anne Clark, Nena and Eurythmics Wide- and narrow banner (Avatar is Good).

Quick question:
Narrows banners are for example for iPhone, right?
Very often it is not working and wide banner is used.

1 Like

Nice work @danny and Roon team. You continue to advance the ball down the field.

2 Likes

@danny thanks for taking care of the logos issue! My cache reset yesterday and there are only 6 left out of the 40 I was seeing a few days ago. Big improvement!

4 Likes

I think Danny would likely say that he didn’t take care of it, instead we (the crowd) did and that this is the system working as it’s supposed to.

2 Likes

If i had a timeline of Bowie with a bunch of events, including album releases and tours, I’m sure if I asked “the crowd” to place the top 10 images on that timeline, they could figure it out reasonably.

We had some issues rolling this out. Hopefully it’ll be out later this week.

2 Likes

So instead of one image per artist to argue about, we will have an image for each significant period of their career to fight over, and still without the ability to set personal favourites and what we, as individuals, would like displayed for the artists featured in our music library?
So will I be able to select my own image for Bowie’s Ziggy character or is that going to be chosen for me, also?

That’s a loaded question that implies that there is arguing. I don’t actually see arguing, just a bunch of whining (and one case of abuse).

It’ll get chosen by the crowd. Zero work for you to see Ziggy Stardust and the Goblin King, unless you want to contribute with the understanding your impact on the end result is the same as it is in a election. You vote, right?

8 posts were split to a new topic: Use preference for Art Director photos

Some thoughts:

I have the feeling that the current process is very shortsighted. Things will likely stabilize after a short period of time. How is it with future changes/additions?

When things have become stable, who will even look into RVAD (Roon Valence Art Director)? Most users may not care enough or the pictures are good enough most users don’t care. The few with specific needs may look into RVAD and realize that they can’t fight the crowd for their specific need and use the local override way.

What is about new and/or improved pictures/photos that become available in a year or five or ten? How to notify users about the availability of new, potentially better art? How should a new addition ever collect enough votes without a notification? Do we need a “discover new art” like some got a “discover new releases”? An Art tab like the Discography tab that some have? Can “voting rounds” be implemented/held?

I don’t think that RVAD in its current state (feature set) without feedback into users Roon UI can provide the ongoing interest (visibility) that is needed to carry-on the crowdsource idea into the future.

Describing the idea of “voting rounds”:

Take the art currently used by Roon, it’s stated that more than one art per type/crop and artist may be used in the future, and new additions into a new voting round (all art starts with zero votes) to find out if the new addition is good (enough to replace a previous one).
Needs some sort of notification for users with that artist in their library.
Needs some sort of rank field alongside the votes count as votes would now count only for voting rounds, while, based on @danny’s comments above, votes currently equal rank.
When to close voting rounds?

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Use preference for Art Director photos

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: User preference for Art Director photos