Valence Art Director in Roon

Yes, this can already be seen.
There are photos which have been voted on top and where new versions of the same photo with higher resolution is now available. No one knows about this and no one realize this (as they have already voted for their favorite photo) and my vote does not help to push it up.
I am not sure if there is an program who could do this? To identifiy these same pictures (in content) and chose the one with higher resolution?

1 Like

Personal opinion: I often find myself voting for a lower resolution version over a higher resolution one. Now that art is retrieved on-the-fly over the network, this costs time (goes at the expense of snappy user experience) I guess. Most of my Remotes (phones, tablets) have rather small screens and I usually maintain a healthy distance to my 4K-TV - so I see no need for 2K+ avatar pictures or 4K+ wide banners. Also some, most of the art I looked into because of interest, didn’t provide any more details in the higher resolution (likely just blown-up/up-scaled lower-res art; Roon can do/does that already on the fly AFAIK).

But definitely a +1 for the ability to see a proper 1:1 preview in the RVAD for easy quality checks.

if the images are huge, they will be scaled down before being sent to Roon.

The point of having great quality images is that the images will remain useful when the tech improves.

3 Likes

Thanks for your tireless work on AD, as well as great communicating with all of us. Sorry to “pile on” here:

• We all know it is difficult to squeeze photos of multi-member bands into the small, circular avatar while keeping the avatar fully “occupied”. Logos become the default alternative, but in that case, the logos end up becoming the graphic for the Narrow and Wide displays. For me, it’s not ideal for the least-displayed avatar to be driving use of a logo across all Now Playing formats. What most want to see in the Now Playing display are the band members.

When needed, would there ever be a way to choose or user-edit (either a logo and photo OR two photos) the avatar and displays? In that case, a user might select a Led Zeppelin logo for the avatar, and a photo of the band in Narrow/Wide display formats.

• If this is not a possibility, if there a way the pool of approved photos can be accessed to add additional band/artist photos? The Led Zep logo would occupy the first Now Playing slot, followed by additional band photos - sourced either from Roon’s approved crowd-sourced photo library OR sourced by the user.

I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

Yeah right, but 500 px images looks crappy, even on my ipad, so anythink above 1080px is highly appreciated. a further improvement for 1920px is harder to see on my ipad.
And besides I I found every bad (totally not sharp) photos with 4000px and more.

I agree with that but as I stated above, for the artists I looked into because of interest, the insanely (with current tech in mind) great (by pixel size) pictures were rarely of higher quality as their smaller counterparts.

I’m still seeing too many edges in avatar crops and to add insult to injury my amendments are being rejected for what I assume is imperfect framing.

What’s better – a visible edge or a slight bleed over the border?

If visible edges are acceptable I’m wasting my time.

Future Islands’ avatar also shows a large gap on the left. I have corrected this but my change was rejected probably due to losing a tiny portion of William Cashion’s left hand to the crop. I’ve seen this happen a number of times for a few different artists.

Which one is better?

In use

fi-ad-1

Rejected

fi-ad-2

Also, as a community we need to start centring and padding logos properly because they are the best option for some acts and will enjoy some degree of visibility in Roon going forward.

1 Like

One question…

In Art Director 2.0 could we enable the full set of Roon-licensed photos (including album covers) be available for Avatars / albums?

As I start to get to more niche artists (eg, Bascom Lamar Lunsford, Ayub Ogada, Bechir Selmi, Bero Landauer, Bunk Johnson, etc - I have a lot of African, South American, and early jazz & bluegrass in my collection) I find myself having to go get album covers that I know are already in Roon, but I also know they’re copyrighted images. Also, to be honest, I’m dubious that there’s much value to these particular artists or the photographers to go after the rights. So I’m uploading an image that I’m pretty sure Roon already has a license to, but I’m not positive, and I feel bad doing it.

Also, for some of these artists, the only available copies I can find of these images is pretty darn small.

Finally, there are some artists where I’d way prefer to crop one of their album covers than use the images that are there. Take Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. The photo there is a moderately recent one, of them well past their prime (yes, I know they’re still playing but…) but I’d much rather crop the photo of Deja Vu or Live: Fillmore East for their Avatar. That might be somewhat duplicative for some others, I’m happy to let the “marketplace of ideas” win as I am for the others. But without the raw images, it’s impossible to let that happen.
image image

Any chance of letting the already-licensed photos into Art Director?

(Also, because this is likely to cause a mess if done en masse, is there room for some sort of volunteer user admins who could be responsible for tasks like this where there are judgment calls to make but principles can be applied?)

I know that it has been asked, but i cannot find the post.
question:
why some artists do not have the “improve this photo” button??

and… another question.
if you click on the picture… you should see an enlarged version, right?
and hopfully you should see also other photos…
if i click, nothing happens.
@danny ?

that’s not an “identified” artist.

did you edit the artist photo manually? whatever album you have for that artist, you should try to get it “identified” so it’s populated by Roon/Art Director:

https://valence.roonlabs.net/artdirector/artist/191:0:541456

it is identified. note the info “born” at the botto, that is not my edit, it comes from roon (the picture is mine)
Screenshot - 11_01_2022 , 20_09_05

it happens also with (some) other artists

If the pictures are “yours” (i.e. you’ve added them to your local Roon database), then I wouldn’t expect to see the “Improve this photo” message?

I’m seeing a different picture for Raphaëlla Smits to you (and the name is spelt differently, too)

Edit: I’ve just tested this with a photo of mine added only to my local database, and - surprise - I do get the “Improve this photo” message…

FWIW, I’ve noticed a lot of artists where there are multiple potential matches in the drop down on art director. I don’t know what this means, but I can’t believe there are three separate Ayub Ogadas. Not sure if related.

@danny: could you please check what is happening here:
Photo in Roon:

very not Sharp

Photo in art director:

very sharp

Is there something wrong with the scaling?
Pictures are from my ipad (5th Gen.)

Thx!

Yes… if roon does not have a picture, and you add it locally, you “always” see the “improve” button.

This image is 1200x525 in our systems. It will look very good in the size in Art Director but isn’t extremely large for a retina screen. But it looks fairly sharp on my iPad Pro.

Thanks for checking this.
I have uploaded my screen shots here.
https://imgur.com/a/B2RHxlY

Maybe you can see it better there.
The photo in art director zoomed to the size as displayed in Roon is much sharper compared to the photo in Roon (both on my iPad). In Roon it looks more like a low res picture of 800x500 or so and much less „crispy“ as in art director.

I have question.

What constitutes a duplicate picture?

I ask as there are clearly multiple versions of the SAME photo. Take Bebel Gilberto for example

These pictures are clearly from the same originally, albeit at different resolutions and have been cropped differently. Should we as editors be selecting what we feel is the best one and flagging the worst as a duplicate?

Vote for both on the left. If they end up the ones shown in Roon, fine, if not, kick the two on the right as duplicates. :wink:

same-same-but-different-bf1-live-same-same-but-different-51988192

But they’re cropped differently - some people will prefer a tighter crop, others more background.