Valence Art Director in Roon

I’d like to see artist artwork managed like album artwork in Roon where local files could be chosen for avatar and banner slots when art served by Roon is inaccurate or ugly.

This is how Plex works – you’re presented a bunch of artwork options for designated slots but are easily able to upload your own artwork to your server when the options do not fit.

At the moment my Plexamp artist page looks perfect whereas my Roon artist page boasts bad crops made by other people and many empty slots. I can attempt to improve my Roon page but there is risk that my carefully cleared submissions or carefully considered changes will be rejected or my edits will be replaced by something that looks awful. All of this has happened to me so a proportion of my VAD activity has been a waste of effort. It’s important not to waste volunteers’ time particularly if your volunteers are also paying customers.

This is my experience with Art Director. There is nothing wrong with the tool but there are big issues with its use by certain contributors, too few controls to stop bad edits going live and inconsistent behaviour by moderators when edits or submissions are made.

5 Likes

You’re right, there should be manual artist edit options in Roon where you can choose your own favorite avatar, wide, and narrow banners. That this stuff is different every time I use it, through no action of my own, is extremely disorienting.

4 Likes

There is a feature request “User preference for Art Director photos” which you could vote for. The idea behind it is for your own choices to be used if you prefer, and still be available for others to choose, rather than the current winner takes all strategy.

1 Like

If only anyone had any votes left :rofl:

3 Likes

Still not resolved :frowning:

and still no narrow banners on the iPhone.

My understanding is that it will come with the next Roon update, expected very soon.

1 Like

it’s not going to get resolved unless you vote for the higher resolution photo.

As for narrow banners, soon…

1 Like

Thanks, I thought it is something that needs to be fixed on the server side and not the client side.
So I will wait for the next client update.

I uploaded a new version with higher resolution and kicked the old one as duplicate. Now I need to wait to show up.
Roon really trains patients. :wink:

For popular artists things are mostly settled now, so I started uploading photos locally for the photos I dislike most. It is a bit tricky to find photos which works good as avatar and banner, but I found some I like much more than the ones provided by valence. Hopefully these will not get kicked with a future update.

We’re going through a couple of thousands of updates a day, so sometimes it takes a tiny while before it is approved (and in some cases rejected). Hang in there! :slight_smile:

Good uploads, crops and edits are quick to approve, but we also see…er…examples of different levels of aesthetics out there, haha. These take longer, both in moderation and because we have to reject and send back for recropping. Thanks for all your effort and patience.

1 Like

This is out (changes in backend, no software updated needed). You will need to wait 2-3 days to see the results on your phones.

1 Like

Thanks Danny for the info.
:+1: :grinning:

P.S. Some kicked the photo of Dominique Fils Aimee with the higher resolution, which I have uploaded and kept the one with the lower resolution. I uploaded the photo again, hopefully this time the photo with the lower resolution will be kicked. :crazy_face:

it got flagged as a dup, but the dup check process would have ended up deleting the bad one. I just ran it, and all is good.

1 Like

Done, deleted all connection to the Valence and Art director. Downloaded new pictures of all artists that i already did not download. Tok me 3 evenings / nights. so now no pictures are changing without me doing it myself.

2 Likes

I am still getting a strange behaviour for Icona Pop on W10.
Asus ZenBook Flip 13 laptop, fullscreen: picture is offset.

Same issue on the external 24" screen of same resolution 1920x1080.

No pb on my iPad.

Valence Director says:

The problem is at least 2 weeks old so not a “content delivery” delay.

Badly framed in Roon, but lightning is much better. :wink:

But I can confirm that sometimes framing is off (due to some zooming/scaling?)

Is the update supposed to fix the avatar-related bugs as well or only narrow banners?

It adds support for narrow banners.