Valence Art Director in Roon

I have added images, adjusted images, voted for and picked images.
No problem with Valence Art Director showing me, what images are available for the Artists, however, I would still like to be able to select which ones are displayed for me, for as long as I have a preference set, for some artists who are in my Library.
I then have the ability to either review and adjust my preference based on what is then available in Valence Art Director or return back to allow Roon to serve me what is machine/system preference.

1 Like

Is it staying or being phased out. I remember seeing some message related to this with the last update or have I misread?

I can and will not speak to the future, but I can tell you there is no intention to remove the feature at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying.

But the possibility to use own images is quite inferior to Valence, one picture for avatar, wide banner and narrow banner and no adjustment possible.

1 Like

Agreed. However, that does not change the fact that Art Director’s purpose is not about customization and it was not built with customization in mind.

We could build customization on top of it, but Art Director is designed to be a system suitable for all users at once. Customization would be the opposite of the goals of a system meant to collect and crop numerous photos suitable for use in Roon today and in the future.

At the moment I do not see the conflict between customisation within Art Director and collecting numerous photos and crop them in Art Director.
I would understand this argument with a better customisation in Roon (outside Art Director) but I think no one asks for this. The „simply“ wish is: show me in Roon the photo which I have voted for in Art Director.

1 Like

No one ever said there is a conflict. I said it wasn’t designed or built to do that.

Customization can be bolted on as a layer on top for sure, but that’s not what it was built to do.

I’m also not saying it’s a bad idea or one we won’t do, but it’s not what Art Director does right now. Art Director was designed and built to be a solution to fix a specific problem for everyone at once.

Trying to customize with it or to expect it to meet your customization requirements will only lead to disappointment.

1 Like

I agree with the goal and the limitations of the current Art Director.
But it is a bit astonishing that you did not saw the other great asset of Art Director, a very powerful tool for customisation, and did not build this into Art Director right from the beginning. I am pretty sure acceptance would have been even higher, because I believe a lot of people feel at the moment that what they give into the system and what they get out of it is not in balance. (I know it is easy to say for me after AD is out for 4 weeks ;)).

1 Like

That’s never how software releases work. You can’t release everything at once, or you will never release.

Looking at your profile, I can see you are an active contributor to AD. It’s an impressive number of adjustments, votes, and uploads that you’ve done. If you (or anyone else) stops getting value out of it, you will probably stop contributing.

But let me put this in context, since you lack the information to speak for others or the project as a whole.

The top contributors have done more than 100x what you’ve done! A few Roon users do every day what you’ve contributed total… and they do it multiple times a week. These people clearly are getting a lot out of this, and most are contributing in a manner that is grander than their own library. That just doesn’t line up with your ideas on acceptance or what people feel.

Anyway, let’s see what we can do in 2.0. We need to think about customization as a bigger thing than just picking an image or two.

Out of interest, and to get a different view of engagement, what proportion of Roon users have uploaded at least one photo, and what proportion have voted at least once?

Its also interesting that Roon can spend so much time making it look pretty while ongoing technical issues remain unanswered and ignored for long periods.

This logic is something I’ve heard a few times around here… it makes no sense. You think a web developer doing graphical design also has the skills to work on networking stacks or audio playback engines? Developers do different things, and the company has resources that it allocates to work on different projects. In this case, Art Director was done by 2 people that do not work on Roon.

Without providing actual numbers, the total number of engaged users is a small % of our total users, but the number of contributions is gigantic. Very few contribute once and stop. We’ve had over half a million contributions in the last month.

Of all the images in the system, 72% have avatar crops and wide banner already.

7 Likes

Thank you, your‘re welcome. Just to give you an idea, for this contribution I spend 20 hours maybe more in Art Director. This was all only on artists I am interested, random cropping on unknown artist was never my cup of tea (I tried for some, but this is really boring when you do not know the artist ;)).

You are arguing with a couple of people who clearly have no life :wink: and I am with 21 people who voted for this customisation. :wink:

:+1: :slight_smile:

If you would take out these few super users, what would be the percentage then?

2 Likes

Anyone else fnding that Art Director has become much slower over recent days?

I’m wondering if consideration should be given to preventing very low resolution images being uploaded.

Take Randy Waldman for example. There is a 75x33 image up there. I’ve favourited the better one but really the other image has no place here at all. It’s certainly a case of ‘No image is better than a really poor image’. I appreciate that hopefully the better images will be voted up over time but there is a possibility with minor artists that they won’t be visited for a while.

Also are there any plans to purge the huge amounts of low resolution images over time?

1 Like

This is in place. You can no longer upload photos below 500x500 px.
This must be uploaded before this limit was introduced.

You can flag this image, say it doesn’t fit or it is not the artist and it should be deleted by a moderator.

1 Like

Yep I noticed this yesterday too, upload was quite slow.

Unfortunately, this is a licensed image! We PAY for this crap.

3 Likes

OMG!
Now I understand, why you started Art Director. :slight_smile:

1 Like