Valence Art Director in Roon

This has happened a few times when I have gone to Valence to see an Artist’s images

For several minutes nothing displayed. For Avatars, Wide Banner and Narrow Banner selections.

My internet connection is fine for other services, and my DNS servers are those provided by ISP.

Is this Cloudflare’s CDN just not delivering images for Roon Metadata, or any issue with Roon’s Metadata servers?

I have also continued to notice the lack of correct scaling and cropping for images when viewed landscape verses portrait
Example, displayed on my iPad Pro 9.7

Portrait

Landscape

Why is the landscape not rescaled properly.

I thought this was an earlier issue, solved in a previous release?

1 Like

I see this also, on. an iPad Pro 12.9"
Cropping and scaling on the Now Playing view is in dire need of attention…

Avatars still buggy, not in sync with Valence:

and way more…

I can confirm all these last bugs, just with other artists.

@danny , any progress info on image representation on the Now Playing screen? Many artists are really badly represented there…

1 Like

This is a very valid issue for many electronic music artists that collaborate. Probably never been in the same room together and any type of promotional image is not top priority.

2 Likes

Did you have a commercial redistribution license? If not, maybe it was deleted just because of the licensing issue, not the content

Even if one did have such a thing (unlikely), there is nowhere to indicate this or upload it to in Valence Art Director. Nor would the person doing the checking/deleting have any way of knowing if you did or didn’t.

I’m quite sure that it is mentioned somewhere because I read it somewhere in the Valence stuff. And automated image search tools exist for things like this

Agreed that it is, but I don’t want to open the floodgates because we already reject hundreds of logos for banners when good images do exist.

I think this really needs to be up to the moderators/admins, but we don’t have a good way to discuss the matter. bringing it up here might not be bad (or in a new thread).

fixed.

1 Like

It’s funny you bring that up seeing as your avatar is an artists album cover! I hope that you have the artists permission :grinning:

I have a made a template message that I use to message artists on Facebook to ask permission if I can use pictures from their Facebook page, some respond, many do not or have not as yet and I am only doing this for artists in my library that do not have pictures.

Theadelaidean happens to be a personal friend of a friend of mine.

I’m not complaining, just saying what it is. And a lowly forum member using his favorites’ cover for an avatar is not the same thing as a for-profit company using photography without permission in their product, even if unwittingly - of course Roon has an eye on that

2 Likes

i uploaded a few pics for (i think well known) artists where roon had none, and -for the first time in my life- i checked the copyright status for something
i am sure i did it right and roon can use this pics worldwide for all time? of course not, how could i?

i also uploaded a few pics for german authors which have audiobooks on tidal. did i check for copyright there? not really
what should happen now. the photographer demands 0,001 cents from roon for the 3 clicks per year? or maybe the author should pay the photographer or roon now because he is maybe making more money from tidal because he has a pic and 10000 other authors didnt and people click it more because of it.
i dont know, but i think art director is a very good idea and in general there cant be enough community involvement. this could make roon different. community playlists, community ui designs, community reviews and whatever else

Look, this is the relevant section from the Art Director “Tips” page. I didn’t write it:

All I’m saying is that missing rights is a possible explanation for the disappearance of the image that @oneofmany uploaded, rather than that it was deemed not a good image. We don’t know, just a possibility

You can by checking the license of the picture, where it is provided (e.g. Duckduckgo allows choosing the license type in the image search options) and theoretically you could rely on the bold concept of not using an image if you don’t know that you have the license. The rule of thumb is that if it does not state clearly that you can use it, then you can’t.

I’ve submitted some images and they’re still pending. For two of the artists images were uploaded last week. Is there an issue? It’s never taken this long.

• Paralandra
  • Seventh Wonder
  • The L.I.F.E. Project
1 Like

I think all the staff are busy with the new update.

I also have 61 images that have been waiting for approval for a while.

1 Like

I see I see said the blind man. Cheers Serhan :+1:

Maybe it’s time to consider Art Director moderators outside Roon Staff? The community is already active on Translations, Live Radio Directory and of course the forum.

2 Likes

@danny This is still an issue in Safari. See bit on the left.

Also, I am sure this has been discussed but I can’t find it? Why is the left box grey and not black?