Valence Art Director in Roon

Well, yes. But there are people/bands that I really have no business voting on because Have no clue if it is the person without searching.

So, and maybe this is a feature request, but I would love to help contribute to building this out for hardcore, punk, and metal. Those I know well and can contribute some value to adding. If we were able to opt into a genre…that would be rad.

Also, I know I submitted photos for 3 bands the other day. But I am not seeing any evidence anywhere that they are in Valance. It says I have 1 image upload, but there is nothing linked.

your first page did not load fully, my guess is that you need to hit reload – note that the URL is the same on the two screenshots.

to vote, pick your favorite avatar and click the heart. Then do the same thing for banner photos.

My biggest problem with Art Director is, that I cannot see the pictures, I want to like, in full resolution. I choose a picture that looks good in it small size and as it is in Roon, I see that it has a low resolution or looks blurry.
It would be a good addition to be able to be able to change to full resolution to ‘like’ a pic.

4 Likes

we will add this.

3 Likes

Ugh… I just now became aware of this feature. I applaud the efforts to fix the ‘forehead’ problem with artist images and this seems like a great approach.

But, I had added my own images for many of my favorite artists. A few have been replaced by Roon and I assume the rest will be replaced over time as crowd sourcing / voting assigns the ‘correct’ image for the artist. Oh, well… onwards and upwards.

1 Like

As Danny noted above, Roon is not supposed to replace your custom artist images. My observation is that Roon is replacing the Avatar images but not the banner images. If you have a custom image it should be preserved as the banner, but the Avatar image will be replaced with whatever is in Art Director.

I also had couple artist pictures that I had added myself replaced by Roon. But only couple and other images that I had added were not replaced, so it was some rare coincidence…

1 Like

I have to say the new Art Director is a little frustrating. These are the images in Valence for Roberta Gambarini:

These are the images in my Roon database:

The image is the same but why is the Avatar’s head cut off? Why is the banner not showing? Is it caching? Will the images clear up over time?

Hi, @ds_2, @Krutsch, could you, please, provide examples of artists whose images you edited manually, but they were replaced by artist images from Valence?

Thanks!

Ivan

2 Likes

Hi,

Band called 1914 (metal), I had added my own image but it was replaced by Roon. If I remember correctly they did not have any image when I added mine. There was one or two others but I cannot remember what they were as I went through all artists.

Indeed it is a caching issue.

I’ve noticed that some contributors are really struggling to crop avatar images 1:1 without leaving photo edges visible within the bounds of the circle.

Bauhaus’ current state is a particularly clear example but a significant number of avatars have at least one visible edge that could’ve been avoided with more careful positioning (e.g. the left edge of All Them Witches current avatar).

Have you considered blocking the ability to zoom out to prevent this happening? I would also consider banning people who regularly make low quality submissions from the tool.

There’s no problem with the tool at the moment the issues arising are caused by its operators.

We are making easier to correct these errors and we are warning people when they submit if they have inadvertently left borders.

And yes, if the user has too many readjustments or flagging’s, they will get banned.

2 Likes

Please consider all of this @danny

This may have been discussed here already, but if I see an artist photo that just needs resizing/panning to fit into the circle form, can I do it without having to upload a new image? Currently when going to the “improve this photo” link, you are required to upload a new photo before being able to improve the existing photos.

Uploading a photo is not a prerequisite. In Art Director search for the artist with the magnifying glass. You can then suggest edits, they will be tken into consideration after moderation.

1 Like

I think you only get the “upload new photo” requirement when the Artist photo is one that you have on your local Roon setup, but Roon Labs don’t have a photo for that artist.

Maybe it’s a good idea to make a guideline doc…

I struggle with some things: example when cropping the text says don’t do anything aesthetically at this point, this will be done by rating.
Some landscape pics with more people can’t fit in the circle, however when this is thee only image i would prefer a small border above no picture at all…

However it’s not possible to know if other images for this artist exist when you are cropping.

What should you do: leave the border and let the rejection take please in the ranking part? Or should you reject asap, resulting in maybe losing the picture completely?

Also when cropping banners, there are lots of picture which cannot display the complete face of the artist, I don’t reject these yet, I try to fit as much as possible in the frame, maybe sometimes cutting a bit hair because I feel the chin is more representing that the forehead / hair.

Guidelines with visual examples would help a lot here, I feel the brief texts in the art director are not enough to guide us to take the right decisions …

2 Likes

Sure… I did not make an exhaustive search, but I noticed that Amanda Ghost, Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, Boston, Dean Martin, Emerson Lake & Palmer… there are more, but these are at the top of the display for collection of my ‘Favorited’ artists list and ones I know I replaced with images I liked from the Internet.

art director works great. i see a lot of changes in my library