Valence Art Director in Roon

Why does no one mention the lines at the edge usually left and bottom I have these on many images, I wrote about it in the beta but got no response from Roon.

1 Like

I have also noticed these image edge artefacts, specifically on Roon desktop at certain window sizes for some artwork.

I am however using using Roon with Wine on Linux so did not report as I am a particularly edgy edge case.

Here it is:

Here it isn’t:

Quick thought, if any QA people read this I’d check if this problem is caused by display scaling. Display scaling caused problems while I was an Audirvana user. My Arch Linux system and Wine prefix are scaled at 200%.

I see no issue with the same artist image on iOS and iPadOS.

2 Likes

I have a number of artists whose images I have added myself using a tablet - hence via the “paste a URL method”. I either didn’t like the original Roon image, or there wasn’t one at all.

Now that new images are appearing, I would like to see if they are better than the one I have. However, choosing the valence image results in losing mine. I can’t switch back. I have to find that URL again; not always easy.

I suppose I could upload that image to art director and hope it ends up as the approved one, but it may not…

1 Like

Not really an issue with Valence per se, but do i really need to receive a “did you just login?”-mail on EVERY login to Valence and the translation tool? The sites should offer a “stay logged in” check box to prevent this.

11 Likes

I’m all for contributing to Art Director but the forced logout on tab closure is extremely annoying. It has definitely put me off of making minor tweaks simply because it isn’t worth unlocking my password manager.

4 Likes

I am really starting to loathe Valence in Art Director, although I was incorrect with my comments regarding Roon changing user preferred pictures to Valence I am starting to see Artist pictures that I have uploaded and or/preferred change to ones that I really dislike.

Take this one for Cloves:

This image is great as the artist banner but not so great for the avatar, it was previously the circled image, which I much prefer:

The current avatar image is much more dramatic and fits better as a banner and is my preference, its works well as there is plenty of space for the artist info on the left side of the image.

I guess the only option is to change from Valence to a user selected image.

The artist images are changing daily and I don’t know if some people are abusing the system to make some point but I have noticed perfectly good avatar images that have now been adjusted so that they are really badly cropped.

I am going to take screenshots of every page of my artist screens so that I have proof to show the next time I notice it happening.

5 Likes

I love the AD concept, but have a few questions maybe you can help me with:

• how do I use AD to select images I prefer vs. the ones that Roon decides to feature? It appears I can use AD to contribute photos but can’t use the tool for positioning and retrieve either my photos or those contributed by others?

• is Roon now over-riding artist photos which I previously curated, edited and uploaded?

• while I generally want to use hi-rez photos, historical photos are generally lower rez, and since I can have up to 15 photos for an artist, I usually feature both historical and contemporary photos. So, I would want Roon to offer a variety from which to choose.

• currently, the 880 upgrade won’t chromecast to my TV and scroll the artist photos. It worked fine when I was using the Beta. The photos scroll perfect on the remote iPad.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 Like

As long as your preference selection has not been changed from when you imported your personally created, edited and uploaded artist photos then you are apparently okay. Just make sure that the preference has not been changed to Valence.

I’ve mentioned this before, but maybe Roon can confirm. It appears that you can add a custom image that will show up as the Banner, but Art Director determines the Avatar. As far as I can tell, if there is an image for the artist in Art Director it will be used for the Avatar. If there is no image in Art Director, Roon will use the custom image added by the user or no image if none is added. Can Roon staff confirm that’s the way it works or at least tell me I’m wrong?

Hi @danny
i basically have a question about AD.
-at the moment, i can prefer (heart) a picture (for avatar or banner), but what i’ll see is not my preferred one, but the “most voted”. that will solve the various display problems, ok, but… i still would like to see the one picture i like and have preferred…
-you have anticipated that at a certain point … the first N voted picture will be available and shown n roon. at that future point… will we be able to really prefer our favourite one and see it displayed in roon? i think this is a point not very clear, that has also emerged in some of the comments.

This kind of thing is ruining my experience of Roon. In fact, I struggle to believe that a crop like this isn’t straight-up trolling.

Some VAD contributors need to think more carefully about how their amendments will work within the established conventions of Roon’s UI or the whole artist page is going to end up looking like a dog’s breakfast.

6 Likes

I’ve done nearly 800 adjustments with VAD but I’m starting to question the point of expending any more effort.

New Order is a disaster area at the moment because people keep voting for low resolution banners that often don’t display properly and comically incompetent avatar crops.

This is nothing to do with personal taste – these images are objectively bad for their role in Roon.

The screenshots above are inexcusable for a piece of software that strives to be an aesthetically pleasing front-end for music files a user leases or owns themselves.

Roon’s design is compromised by this feature in its current form and volunteers appear to be expected to pick up the slack.

4 Likes

I totally agree.
It seems there’s something not working here.
There’s should bea way to say “remove because of bad quality”, at least if there are other options.

2 Likes

Hi @anon89593805
I think you have “deleted” this avatar.
i’ve tried to do the same in other similar cases.
But it happened that at a certain point they reappeared. i’m nor really sure about it, but…

so, i think that i would really like from @danny or someone else in the staff a better explanation of the flux of this tool (what happens when i prefer a picture, or if i don’t do it, what happens if i report a bad picture, …)

1 Like

I favourited a different avatar and a banner at an acceptable resolution for this decade just after I posted above. This has probably booted the old avatar but it is still visible for me. I did the same for Bauhaus earlier and that has now changed.

I have a feeling they will both be back as I have observed the behaviour before.

I assume that there’s a small number of users interacting and we’re likely to see changes in the crowd favourite with a few extra votes in any direction. This would explain the artwork ‘churn’ we’ve observed.

This is a case of a user desperately trying to not end up with a logo for Bauhaus. I’ve flagged them all as does-not-fit. Logos it’ll have to be.

there were only 2 votes for that lower quality image, and 2 for the one you want. I gave it an upvote :slight_smile:

all reporting goes to moderation, where we are quite strict on what is acceptable.

we are introducing some new copy changes as well as a warning if you leave the border there. Hoping to release today.

‘Big’ long-lived bands, especially those with controversial line-up changes are going to be a problem. The really low resolution options should be removed to prevent something totally unsuitable for Roon being chosen for use by people with an axe to grind.

1 Like

Anyone with an axe to grind would be easily spotted (names are logged against adjustments and uploads I believe) so can easily be blocked from accessing Valence. Though why anyone would bother rather than finding and uploading good quality photos of their favourite groups instead I can’t imagine.

I can imagine voting conflicts though: take Yes as an example, is the banner picture from the classic ‘Wakeman’ era or the ‘Buggles’ era? Both are valid but…

1 Like

It doesn’t necessarily have to be an axe to grind. There are those who only want to see David Lee Roth and not Sammy Hagar in a Van Halen picture. One reason, logos for avatars are, imho, a great way to go.

However, you can get voting wars switching things back and forth. With music, there are extremely emotionally invested fan bases who do care one way or the other. I assume that Roon has reporting tools to watch for voting blocks, if they care that such things exist.

1 Like