Various artist cds missing the name of the singer on each track [answered]

Hi, I notice this thread is marked as [answered], but I don’t think it’s [solved].

The not so meaningful Various Artists is showing in the Artist field for compilation albums, even when Artist name tag is properly set.

I’ve posted a related thread here.

Hey @dibb – sorry for the slow response on some of these questions. I just posted a lengthy summary of some of the ways we’ll be improving Roon in the future, and some of the ways Roon is designed to ensure the context of your music is preserved.

One thing to keep in mind is that what you might think of as “artists” in other apps is pretty different in Roon. In other apps, an artist is a piece of text in a file, but in Roon performers and composers are driven by richly detailed information from our metadata service.

This makes it possible to accurately track multiple artists with the same name, or to track all thirty spellings of “Tchaikovsky”. This also allows us to sensibly handle aliases, or cases where you want an album sorted under multiple artists (like, “James Brown and The Famous Flames” or “The Miles Davis Miles Davis Quintet” appearing on James Brown and Miles Davis’ pages, respectively).

I think a lot of this is covered here, and to be clear, this thread is marked answered because it relates to display of track-level artist information on the album screen. Feel free to respond in that thread if you have any questions or feedback. Thanks!

1 Like