Very slow search - Nils Frahm [large library, 248 K tracks]

Yes, you’re right of course. Also, I’d like to mention I had a few beers last night and I can get a little delusional. If only 1 of every 1000 users has a large library I understand why Roon doesn’t prioritize solving this issue. Especially if it’s not an issue at all for many large library owners.

I know this doesn’t help you but just as another data point.

I have a 230k library, mostly Qobuz with a few hundred local albums, running on a general purpose depreciated i7 Windows 11 laptop from 4 or 5 years back. I mostly use it concurrently whilst working on large Word and Visio documents. With recent roon releases I was getting frequent crashes so I have upgraded the laptop to 32GB and the problems have gone away. Network connection is nothing special. I don’t even remember what it is. It was the cheapest, basic package with a local fibre supplier. A Nils Frahm search takes a fraction of a second.

I have several “goodish” systems but generally when working I prefer to listen through the laptop speakers as I just want some background music that is not too distracting. That is probably the vast majority of my roon listening so I haven’t really experimented enough to see if I get the same levels of stability whilst working on the core and playing to one of the main systems. However, when I am playing to one of the main systems I am often web browsing and emailing on this laptop core (though not editing large documents). With recent releases I haven’t been experiencing slow searches although I have done in the past. One thing I do notice is unresponsive navigation buttons which I may have to click several times. I have never been sure if that is just me and this laptop or whether it is something to do with roon. I have seen a few recent posts about unresponsive navigation buttons so now I am not so sure.

As has been mentioned, this decade-old machine is wholly inadequate for a library with 250k tracks. It might have a quad-core i7, but it’s a decade-old i7.

Oddly enough, I have just bought the same NUC (with the same amount of memory) to replace my aging 4th gen i5 NUC. It should be more than adequate for your needs. I’m marking this as the solution here.

2 Likes

Update: My slow search issue has been solved. I don’t know what happened (latest update?), but I gave it a try again and got results within 2 seconds, which is good.

1 Like

Update:

A few weeks ago I got a NUC10i7FNH with a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, 32gb of memory, and an internal 4TB SSD for my library (1). I installed ROCK on it and let ROCK format the internal 4TB SSD and used that default location as watched folder. Copied library over the network (119GB/s average throughput which is pretty good) and restored my Roon db.

Thus far it’s been working great. Performance is pretty fast and the annoying delays I had when running on the mini are gone thus far.

Thx for the help.

(1) System SSD and mem a bit overspec’ed for ROCK but wanted to get something I could easily run Windows or Linux on if I wanted to.

3 Likes

I have about 230k after I deleted about 200k of rubbish.
Almost no mp3 now except concert bootlegs. I haven’t checked for a while but IIRC my storage was about 11TB

I have about 250k tracks but only ~100k local files, the rest is streaming files.

Ok…. Makes sense. I was puzzled how you got it all onto 4TB.

Want to report that after three weeks of being on a NUC with ROCK installed, all of my issues with speed have disappeared. The NUC is extremely robust, experience on the controllers is very fast, and overall usability is a world apart.

I’d say for large libraries one should stay away from macs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.