Vinyl at the Internet Archive

I’ve been listening to some of the discs at the Internet Archive. They’re amazing! Each record is played with several different styli, and each version is available either as-is, or with equalization applied. Here’s an example:

Note four different styli were used, each play is available either “flat” or equalized, and all are available as 24-bit FLAC. Accompanied by an image of the disc!

7 Likes

Fabulous find!

The only thing is the flacs have been ripped entire sides without a cue to split the sides into tracks. I only looked at a few and maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Are there cue’s for the flacs? The VBR MP3’s are split into tracks with an M3U file, and to be honest with historical material that is probably going to be good enough for me anyway. It would be nice though to have the option to split the flacs with out having to manually build a cue file each time.

Explained here: https://great78.archive.org/

Lovely stuff.

2 Likes

How are you embedding a player?

The link from the IA does that. Somehow.

1 Like

Some late 60’s instrumental pop from The Exotic Guitars.

I’ve got both the VBR MP3 and FLAC versions into roon and find on my system I prefer the MP3’s. The FLAC’s a bit thin to my ears, but great stuff.

2 Likes

Was talking to a friend about this a few weeks ago. Would be fun if Roon integrated the catalog for playback. Besides the 78 project they have a few more music archives available as well.

1 Like

I’ve “followed” the @great78@mastodon.archive.org on Mastodon, and I keep getting these great old 78 clips in my feed.

“Harry Roy’s Tiger-Ragamuffins”, indeed!