Volume control by button in addition to slider

I have both, with some Meridian devices and some others, and I think both suck.

The slider is too sensitive.
And the buttons hark back to 1992.

I have argued for a control like that used in iOS for many purposes: timer, date and time in the calendar… It is small when not used, becomes large and legible when used, giving a view of the context for the adjustment, it is not too sensitive for fine adjustment and yet supports fast large movements.

1 Like

Slightly harsher than I would have put it, but agreed none the less.

Hi Andrej

Just wanted to add that I am also finding the DSP Volume control difficult to use in practice.
It is logarithmic so the volume changes towards the right side are super sensitive. As you move the slider to the far right, tiny moves result in big volume changes. I have currently disabled it (Set to fixed volume) and use the amplifier remote.
It would indeed be great if we could have a more usable range on the slider (smaller increments in volume) and/or buttons.

The above issue does not detract from my overall super positive opinion of Roon :slight_smile:

Same for me. It’s all about making improvements where possible, for the benefit of the product and users.

2 Likes

I think this was mentioned but just to call it out, when I tap to use the volume it often jumps up in volume, maybe my tapping is inaccurate i don’t know.

Let’s say I am on volume 10, when I tap it goes to 12 getting louder when I am often lowering to 8. I would like the volume spread out more at the lower volume levels, sometimes 9 is too soft and 10 is too loud.

No, I don’t think so… it’s just the way it is at the moment.

1 Like

I have some endpoints that use a slider, and some that use +/- buttons, and in my view, both suck.

Compare the rolling control in iOS for setting times.

Definitely one of the big niggles on iPhone/iPad. I find it impossible to be precise when setting the zone volume.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in Roon’s update on the topic of a more user friendly and precise volume control. Nothing has changed since May, although there seemed to be consensus on this thread that the volume control needed some work. Thank you, Andrej

1 Like

1- Having access to a simple rocker switch± volume on the main page without needing to go to a second window, should be mandatory. Or, by doing a click and hold on the volume icon could bring the ± button without quiting the main window.

2- Like presently, if you click on volume icon, it will be great if it bring a BIG analog volume knob.

3- This knob need to be control not with one finger, but maybe with at least two finger, like a real volume knob (configurable, one finger, or a two finger is require).

4- Adding a switch step value to choose the db step value, or a predefined setting like: slow, normal, fast. Slow for precision adjustment and small db step value. Aggressive/fast for an increase of a bigger db step value (at your own risk).

5- An addition of a rocker + -, like VOLUMIO, should be mandatory too there for those who prefer a tapping motion.

Convenience, flexibility and precision is the key to a success to implement a good volume interface. when you deal with a 200w/400w amplifier, you don’t want to give an heart attack to your neighbour. Slider to control volume is way too dangerous, should never be use for controlling volume.

1 Like

I agree, the current slider volume control is to unprecise for small volume adjustments. Any redesign should be easly accessible from waking up Roon remote on IOs.

1 Like

The build 294 implement a volume limitation… still a slider for the convenience for mobile gear, but with a full control of safety limitation value, and, a rocker - + to over pass this limit if needed.

A big thumbs up to Roon guys here…absolutely convenience now :+1: thank you so much.

The upgraded volume control is a big improvement! Thank you very much!

1 Like