Volume control not working in Roon w. HQPlayer

Lifting this bug here, since there is zero response in the Roon support: Volume control not working with HQPlayer since 1353 - #4 by Marten_Skoger

Anybody else experiening this? The volume control in Roon simply doesn’t work anymore. I have to use the HQPlayer volume directly, which is obviously not ideal, since all other interaction takes place in Roon on my iPad.

Is DSD Direct selected in HQPlayer?
… it shouldn’t be

Got to check! I haven’t done anything except updating Roon.

I just tested and yes, volume control works fine from latest Roon build.

It is also worth checking that Roon didn’t change some endpoint settings behind your back. Sometimes that has happened to me!

I don’t even find this control! Where is it?

Thanks for checking! I can’t find anything wrong. Am I missing some setting?

In HQP embedded is here (configuration page)

and in HQP desktop is here

1 Like

Ok, thanks, no it’s not checked.

You have volume control set to “Device volume” as it should be.

You may want to have “Enable MQA core decoder” turned on, to have MQA content decoded by Roon before sending to HQPlayer.

These are my settings:

But how about your HQPlayer settings? If you are on v5, output device settings and SDM tab?

I’ve got this USB-puck connected to my Roon server mac. It is programmed with Roon keyboard shortcuts to control volume, play/pause and skip, so I can do basic control without even having the iPad app running.

HQPlayer is on the same Mac mini. NAA is on another Mac mini connected to the DAC with no preamp, so I need SW volume control.

As a temp fix, I can place the cursor in the HQPlayer volume control field, but it won’t do play/pause etc then. It is not as responsive to change either. The two Macs are headless, so I control Roon from an iPad. Adjusting volume directly on the screen in the app is not working either. You can set a new value, but it immediately bounces back to the value set in HQPlayer.

I’m on 4.22.1. Here are my settings:

OK, then it should work if you don’t have “Direct SDM” enabled in “DSD Source Settings” dialog.

It will only appear in Roon once Roon is connected to HQPlayer, which happens when you initially start playback, or switch between the output zones. For example in my case I have three HQPlayer zones out of which one has fixed volume and other two have adjustable. And for me the volume control is working today. Roon Server running on Debian 12 and controlled from my iPad. HQPlayer is Embedded v5.

Until Roon is connected, it doesn’t know volume range or fixed volume status of HQPlayer. So it cannot know what to show about volume control until it has been talking with HQPlayer.

Yes, this appeared after a Roon update. I don’t expect this to be solved in HQPlayer, because as you say, it seems as if Roon has stopped talking to HQPlayer. Since Roon gives zero support on this I took a long shot to lift it here.

Did you make Roon talk to HQPlayer before checking the volume control? Because for me, tested today, it is working fine just like before. Yes, I tested with HQPlayer v5 and you are still on v4. But I doubt it would be about this, since there are no volume control related changes in the control API between the two versions.

But as I said, it cannot work before you trigger connection from Roon to HQPlayer.

But how do I trigger this connection other than setting up HQPlayer as a locahost device in Roon? Everything else works between Roon and HQPlayer.

As I mentioned earlier, at least by starting playback through HQPlayer. And it seems to also happen when you switch Roon endpoints, but I’m not entirely sure about this.

Everything works fine except volume control. I think I will reinstall Roon.

It is also good idea to check volume control with HQPlayer Client. This way you know that it works through the control API. If it works through Client, but not through Roon. The issue is at Roon side.

1 Like