Volume leveling sources

In the morning, I often listen to radio, and at least in one of the stations, volume changes depending on the songs. Sometimes it gets much to loud. It would be great if volume leveling could be applied also to the sources, not only to the devices (I usually do not perform volume leveling because of the deteriorated sound).

Best,
Christoph

That’s a myth, but of course, it’s not bit-perfect anymore.
Read the article by our member @DrCWO to find out that it’s a non-issue in regards to audibility.

Back to your feature suggestion:
If the live radio station itself does not apply track to track volume leveling, Roon can’t do anything about it, since it’s receiving a continuous stream and not individual tracks with accompanying relevant volume leveling metadata.

Better to let the station know about the issue, but I’d wager they don’t care…it’s sad, but that’s reality, I guess…

2 Likes

Audibility is subjective, so judgments are … . Loss of data is not subjective, hear the inferior sound clearly in my main system at my listening level (around 92db dB-a), and not in home office at some 60db, or in the kitchen. A person I work with hears the difference in the home office setting.

Not for much longer if that’s your average listening level …

But there are no reports of people with superhuman hearing, but there’s certainly a spread though.
See the measurements from the link and you’ll realize how superhuman you’d need to be.

But of course, you may still want to believe that it’s not just all those biases and your system is more resolving and …