VU Meter for displays

Hi @spockfish ever considered adding some visual VU meters to Ropieee. I’ve been using PiCore player again recently with LMS and I love using its VU meters as well as a remote and display . I just use one as a pure display sync it up to the music zone and it just displays the output and controls it like you can in Ropieee. Would be a nice touch for Roon. There are some Linux based ones that work off Alsa loopback I believe.

1 Like

Yeah and that’s my biggest issue with such a thing. It is by all means a hacky solution. Not that I’m against hacky solutions, but thiis one is :wink:

However, recently I’m playing around with Pipewire (the new low-latency multimedia framework for Linux) and I’m pretty impressed by it. I can imagine that with Pipewiire this is relatively easy to do, and I’m sure it is less hacky.

Thanks

7 Likes

Sounds an interesting development , at least your didn’t say no it can’t happen!!! I’ll take that as a win for now.

Not sure how picore player does it. If you use it as the player as well then no hacks required but I have a small pc for the zone as it does some things I can’t do on Ropieee.

Thanks

1 Like

That would be indeed great if Harry is able and willing to get such functionality in. Love VU meters too :slight_smile:

Maybe some day…

1 Like

I, as well, would welcome this addition to RoPieee…

1 Like

Oh oh seem to have started something!!

Should we set up a crowdfunding for VU-meters in RoPieee? Would be happy to pay an extra $50 for that feature!

2 Likes

So I grouped an old touch with my Denon playing through RHEOS…

Maybe there’s potential here.

IMG_0712

1 Like