Wake on Lan - Wifi Connection

I have a few question about WOL on Raspberries Pi 4 + Digi2 Pro + RoPieee (Stable version 1292).
Can’t activate WOL function in my LAN area.

First question is:

1. Which MAC adress I should add to Advanced settings “WoL target MAC address”
  2. Should I forward some port on my firewall in router? Which? TCP/UDP ? numer?

Best Regards :slight_smile:

There is no need to open/forward any ports in your router firewall. WoL is usually restricted to a single LAN subnet and works as a broadcast packet at link layer in the network stack (below the TCP/UDP layers) and so ‘ports’ have no meaning.

The WoL target MAC address is the MAC address (a globally unique identifier) of the ethernet port on the device you want to wake up. It is a 48 bit number written as 6 hex digit pairs separated by a colon ( : ).

I don’t know if it is supported on RoPieee but on the command line of a full linux distribution, you can obtain the MAC address using ifconfig

For, example, on my RPI 4 running DietPi, I can use:

ifconfig eth0

Which gives the output:

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 10.212.153.211 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.212.153.255
inet6 2a00:23c7:9091:af00:da3a:ddff:fe56:4d40 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x0
inet6 fe80::da3a:ddff:fe56:4d40 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
ether d8:3a:dd:56:4d:40 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 13753807 bytes 11814521533 (11.0 GiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 5528746 bytes 464307698 (442.7 MiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

The line starting ‘ether’ gives the MAC address - in this case “d8:3a:dd:56:4d::40”

Note for other DietPi users that aren’t already aware. ifconfig is not available by default. It has to be installed as part of the net-tools package:

sudo apt install net-tools

Another way of discovering MAC addresses is to use the DHCP log of your router if it has one. For example, my ASUS router gives me:

Hi,
thank You for quick response. I know my MAC address. Which parametrs on linux should start WOL function?

WOL is not a linux function. It is a hardware function supported by the combination of the device and the ethernet adapter allowing the device to power up from a powered down state.

For example, on PC’s, it is turned on or off in the BIOS.

Reading further, it appears that the Raspberry Pi 4 does not support WoL.

Never looked into it before - my RPi’s are on 24/7/365

You may want to check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WakeOnLan

Other Linux flavors may have different command tools or GUI settings to support it.

As far as I know, there is no WOL on the RP Pi.

But I don’t believe the RPi4 supports WoL.

sudo ethtool eth0 yields:

Supports Wake-on: d
Wake-on: d

Trying to enable it with ethtool yields:

DietPi@DietPi:~# sudo ethtool -s eth0 wol g
netlink error: cannot enable unsupported WoL mode (offset 36)
netlink error: Invalid argument

I try Login by SSH to RoPiee, but this type of connection doesn’t works now. I read this functions was disable one or two year’s ago.

But I ask Harry to manage new function to command line in RoPieee. Maybe my Yamaha R-N803D will receive the command line procedure. Roon got function to wakeup Yamaha device and turns on AirPlay maybe this command line will add prompt to Turn on device and change source to “Optical 2” - for me :slight_smile:

Let’s keep this a little bit on track: RoPieee’s WOL feature is about sending a WOL packet, not receiving one.

Sending a WOL packet requires the MAC address of the receiving end.

Keep in mind that not all devices support this.

4 Likes