Want a Roon server (core) with spdif output, a one box solution to my DAC

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I found a dealer demo SOTM sMS-1000SQ server so I bought that. It will have digital output AES, coaxial, and optical. Also a 10MHz master clock inout as I have an Antelope 10M. We’ll see. I can sell it without taking a bath if it fails to live up to the hype.

So the requirements can easily be met for a few hundred dollars, used Mac Mini as server is the functional equivalent of the Taiko = Running Roon with Ethernet in - USB out

If it doesn’t sound as good then the big question is why, and at what point in the spending spectrum from $260 to $26,000 do you get to the point of no improvement? That’s a question, I don’t have any answers.

I suppose the only real answer is what can one afford and what is one willing to spend?

Good that you found a solution, short of a Taiko ( :slightly_smiling_face:)

Some mini-itx boards have spdif outputs. I use a Gigabyte Ultradurable GA350N board in a fanless Hush case running Fedora / VortexBox / Roon. This has spdif headers on the board that enable coax (and optical with a suitable adapter board) outputs. It works very well as a one box solution with spdif out to a dac / preamp. I have also used an Asrock E350M1 board which has an optical spdif output. I can recommend this type of build for a one box solution if you don’t mind a bit of diy.

1 Like

There is mini pc come with optical spdif and coax out put. you can find some model easily

I have a Salk StreamPlayer Generation III, which includes a S/PDIF Toslink output (as well USB output.) I purchased it mid-2016 and it’s been working flawlessly since. At that time I tried both outputs and slightly preferred the sound via USB, but of course this comes down to personal preference and the DAC and interconnects being used.

Last year I upgraded my DAC and amplifier and was blown away by how great this unit sounds. It’s a shame the StreamPlayer hasn’t generated the buzz of similar offerings from Innuous, Small Green Computer, Roon Nucleus, etc. It offers exceptional performance and is competitively priced.

1 Like

in case anybody is still paying attention, and assuming anybody actually cares… I gave up

first of all , thanks for the input and suggestions

after a lot of research I came to the conclusion that what I want does not exist shy of mega $$$$ so I gave up and went with multiple boxes. My DAC is an Antelope Eclipse 384 Pro Audio interface that is both A to D and D to A. It has a USB input but being 8 years old I had a hunch it would be better with the spdif inputs, So I got a Mutec MC3+ and their REF10 master clock to feed the AES/EBU input. Wow.

If you are messing around with “audiophile” DACs you owe it to yourself to try a Pro Audio Interface… so many to choose from like Lynx Hilo, an Antelope unit, RME, and others.

I tried a PS Audio Directstream, Chord DAVE with M Scaler, DCS Rossini with clock. DCS Debussy too. This Antelope more than holds it own, I prefer it, and at about 1/4 the price (Antelope + Mutec units used) of the DCS and Chord… again… wow. Don’t get trapped in the “if it costs more it is better” illusion

5 Likes

Ethernet Input to SPDIF and AES-EBU Output. Don’t know how good it is. Not a John Swenson design.

thanks, but in no way gives me what I want… please see subject line of post

your suggestion is not a Roon server with spdif output

Perhaps this:

1 Like

Forgot about this.

Definitely checks the OP’s boxes, but the i7 is overpriced.

For a Denafrips DAC, I2S output (if it’s compatible).

yes, the Wyred unit is one of the few suggestions that actually does what I asked, It is kinda odd they don’t give you the specs at least that I can find on either the web site or the manual. It says up to 384K which I assume is only USB, doesn’t give coaxial or toslink specs that I can see. There isn’t even a picture of the back of the unit nor do they tell you what ports are active. can you hook up video or a keyboard? From other images I found it looks like an off the shelf computer in a special case… like a lot of these offerings.

I also agree with Fish Guts, the i7 unit is pushing $4K which seems like a lot … however, other companies want $30K and up for dedicated computers so in the grand scheme of things not so bad