Want to get Roon is Nucleus my best bet

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-860-Inch-SATA-Internal/dp/B07L3CLM2B

@Rugby, wait a little while longer.

4 Likes

DRAM supposed to drop this summer also. Soon, 32GB will be a no brainer.

Just in time for my summertime build of the SuperMachine.:laughing:

1 Like

Did my best, but cant get it up working;

rsync -av/Volumes/Data/Storage/InternalStorage/VariousArtists /Volumes/Music/Backup\ Roon\ Music\

rsync: -av/Volumes/Data/Storage/InternalStorage/VariousArtists: unknown option

rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-47/rsync/main.c(1333) [client=2.6.9]

Did drag-drop from both source and destination directory, but someting goes wrong.

Space between-av and the source path, and another space before the destination path.

Sorry, but tried. Either its not a possible way to go or I do not understand your instruction.

Type ā€œrsync -avā€, press the SPACE BAR, drag-drop in the source directory, press the SPACE BAR, drag-drop in the destination directory, press the ENTER KEY. There needs to be space between each part of the command, thats all. Apologies for taking this thread off topic.

Wow this is a lot more complicated than I thought. So with the Nucleus plugged into my network will it be easy to transfer files from say my itunes on my main computer (connected to the network also) to the Nucleus hard drive or say from Drop box. Just drag a file to the Nucleus?

Not cheap enough. A few weeks ago, I bought a Samsung 1 TB QLC SATA drive for $105. By that standard, 4 TB equivalent should be under $400.

AJ

Yes. It is easy. Drag and drop.
The rsync thing is about backup to an older Synology NAS.

Seems to work now, thank you for your patience!

At least there is an option now that Nucleus canā€™t provide, in order to backup music stored on a Nucleus hhd.

I got the Nucleus +. Setup seems pretty easy so far.

I am wondering if I can do this. I normally will be browsing on my iMac and playing music from before the Nucleus either Tidal, Spotify or things like Youtube etcā€¦ or iTunes, jumping around. My computer could play all of those back from the USB output to my DAC. Now that I have the Nucleus is there a way to patch the other apps like youtube though the output of the Nucleus since my iMac is no longer connected to the DAC via USB?

Not at the moment. There is a Feature Request for this enhancement. Please add your voice to the thread so the devā€™s can gauge interest.

Finally, I got my whole music collection stored on a Nucleus+ copied to my nas using rsync.
But understood that the same command used again would only copy changes, but to me it seems as it starts again with a full backup.
Is there something I am missing?

Rsync determines which files differ between the sending and receiving systems by checking the modification time and size of each file, as per the wiki. Something could be messing with the dates on the files such that they all look changed to rsync; and then it will treat them as changed and copy them.

There is a command line switch, either --dry-run or -n (both the same).
These allow you to execute a test operation without making any changes. It shows you what files are to be copied.

If you are sure that existing files should never be re-copied then you can use the command line switch --ignore-existing to only sync new files on the local machine, that do not exist on the remote machine.

Are you using the -av options (a is for ā€˜archive modeā€™, and v for ā€˜verboseā€™)? Also, it takes it a bit of time to chug through and see what has indeed changed, so wait until any copying starts to gauge the action. As @Rugby suggests, use -n or --dry-run to see what would happen without effecting it. The internet is full of rsync help, advise and tutorials.

1 Like

so what do you guys do when you want to jump to something like Bandcamp? I have my Nucleus plugged into the USB input on my DAC so that is where my iMac used to go to. Eventually Iā€™m going to get a network input DAC and has to also have a USB input and AES for another computer I use, so I guess I will have to toggle to the USB input if I want to play something like band camp? This is the problem I see with Nucleus over using the iMac to play roon core. It would be smart to be able to at least play other apps like Spotify or band camp from this extremely expensive computer than to be locked to only Tidal and my own files.

What are your output options? Seems like you have the Nucleus hooked up by USB to a DAC, so from there you must output to an amp and/or headphones. If you use headphones, why canā€™t you just plug them into your iMac for Bandcamp or Spotify? If you want to output to speakers, you can get a USB hub for your DAC and plug the iMac and Nucleus into the hub. Or if your amp has more than one USB port (mine does) use that. Or get a Dragonfly DAC. Theyā€™re cheap and they work fine with a PC. Take the output from the Dragonfly into the aux on the amp.

Yes that is right just one USB input on my DAC. I guess once I get a new DAC that has a network input I will be able to use the USB input from my iMac and Iā€™ll have to just switch between inputs on the new DAC when I want to play something other than Roon. It would be pretty awesome if Roon had an Audio patch through, or be able to put an app like band camp or spotify on the Nucleus. As far as convenience sake goes the iMac is way better for running roon. The Nucleus is one trick pony. You can buy a very nice iMac for the same price. I am going to compare the Nucleus to the iMac soon and see how it works running roon. I have to say the Nucleus was a nice upgrade to the sound quality but Iā€™d never really run Roon before either so not sure how much is attributed to the Nucleus and how much to the actual software.

Hi, Iā€™m not figuring out this drag and drop thing. Can you explain the steps to putting a file from say dropbox into Roon. I have it hooked up to an outboard USB drive and itā€™s plugged into my network of course.