Warning: Want to use balenaEtcher to create a disk image? Think again

This is a heads-up for anyone wanting to use the balenaEtcher app image with Ubuntu.

The balenaEtcher app image has a single dependency: fuse. If you install this package using apt install fuse, you will irretrievably break Ubuntu 23.04 and 23.10, and possibly other releases.

1 Like

Is this the context? Says here that it removes a bunch of packages, so wouldn’t apt ask about that?

Anyway, of course Ubuntu contains a perfectly fine image writer app by default

Yes, that’s the bug. So, since 22.04.

It does, but it only opens .iso files.

Incidently, I use Timeshift, so was able to recover my system. However, I did try to manually repair, but the damage was so widespread that it was futile … especially on the command line.

But didn’t it ask when running apt install that it would remove lots of packages?

Right, I forgot

Obviously there’s a problem there, but I’ve always used dd to create disk images on linux/Unix. Been around probably before the etcher developer was born :wink: I only use etcher on screwy systems like windows

2 Likes

Me too.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 10.55.59
Discourse does not like the option.

You can do “lsblk” to see, what device your USB stick is.

2 Likes

In future, I will use dd … being lazy, so I thought I’d use balenaEtcher, which was already in my Apps folder, but clearly not used since before 22.10.

1 Like