Was Anyone Hoping that CD Ripping Would Be the Next Feature Enhancement?

You are expressing some sort of paranoia/conspiracy that Roon are trying to lock you in. Which they arent since you have full access to your files at any time, pristine and untouched by Roon at all if you so wish.

1 Like

To clear up one possible misconception, when Roon exports an album, only certain primary fields are included by Roon. It will not, for example, export recording location and dates, production credits, mood, tempo, or lyrics (unless you tagged that data yourself). Composers are hit and miss. I’m not sure about embedded art. One should not assume you get everything exported that Roon internally displays about the music.

If Roon’s ripper had an ability to access and download MB data, it would at least be on par with most every other ripper out there.

One last thing: Roon creates organized folders when it exports. Not a poor organization by any means, just a different organization than the one you invented when you gave it to the Roon app.

1 Like

Give me a break. It’s frustration that the product doesn’t inter operate well. No need to project some sort of mood disorder.

1 Like

The following data should be allowed for embedding into ID3 tags on export:

For my test album art for a Roon ripped and Roon ID’d album was embedded, too.

I have not tested how Roon export behaves when the metadata source was musicbrainz (only) - it would not be restricted by the rovi licensing terms but my guess is Roon doesn’t discriminate between metadata sources when exporting.

You will, of course, get all the tags that you entered outside of Roon. You may get the result of edits you make within Roon, but I am not convinced that works all of the time.

You won’t get all of the data Roon displays when you export. And you won’t get the same folder structure.

There could be quite a rude shock between what you think you have and what gets exported should you move away from Roon. The only way to avoid that potential shock is to robustly tag your music before handing it to Roon. Or, do as u_gee did and test what comes out to see if you can live with it.

It would be great if Roon would let me import more metadata and open up its custom fields external taggers.

To be honest: I can’t see Roon to ever evolve into a curation friendly tool. Its approach to do everything automatically is a cool idea and it seems for the vast majority of Roon users this works just fine. Personally, I think it’s far from perfect for a few (a very notable few) of my use cases and if nothing significantly changes regarding metadata quality I’m not hopeful that my experience will improve. And somehow I doubt rovi will adjust to my wishes …

My advice to everybody who wants to curate would be: do it outside of Roon but do it with metadata - not with folders. :sunglasses:

One other point: Roon customers do actually pay for the “lock-in” - the metadata service Roon provides is an essential part of the product. If I remember it right, it’s not even the software but the metadata service one subscribes to (yearly or for life). Why should we be able to take that with us should we move on? Even so I wouldn’t mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many of us have groomed tags to get correct data

It’s the way Roon displays big boxes that’s the issue

Jriver handoes it well by allowing the use of custom tags and custom views that allows YOU to define the navigation

It’s a bit like my Gramophone subscription, I can see issues from before I was born!! But the 12 issues in year I held the subscription go when I stop paying

Didn’t I buy them during that year. Obviously not, I chose the Digital Only sub , I could have the harduous copy as well for more $

I’m not sure I follow all the fuss. I have a CD ripping work-flow, and build 175 doesn’t change that. It’s obviously intended for the nucleus/rock users without an alternative. If you never plug in a cd-rom (and visit the web admin page), you’d never even know the feature exists.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is any fuss, other than some guy accusing others of being paranoid and seeing conspiracies when they do what they normally do which is post their opinion on a feature.

OK fair enough, apologies for the inaccurate accusation. But you can see why I thought that right?

Thanks for apologizing. Accepted.

I don’t think it is paranoia or concern for a conspiracy if it is patently obvious. I’m not saying it is something hidden.

If it’s obvious, then it isn’t a conspiracy. By definition -

And for those who see a conspiracy (whom ever they maybe) I include the following -

I don’t think it is a stated plan of Roon to lock users in though is it? That’s an assumption/accusation some are making.

Haters gonna hate.:expressionless:

2 Likes

Surely its the intention of any company to maintain regular customers who come back year on year

If that’s defined that as locking in so be it

If any customer decides that a product doesn’t , or no longer, fits his need then he has the option of moving on’

In Roon’s case a good proportion of users are “lifers” so obviously that can’t apply.

We must decide for ourselves what are “Show Stoppers” to making the change. Often users have quite disparate needs , eg between Jazz enthusiasts and Classical Enthusiasts

Yes of course a brand wants to inspire loyalty and returning/satisfied customers.

The accusation was that this feature (CD ripping) in particular contributed to user lock in, and was a deliberate policy. I just disagree with that, it makes no sense when one looks at the actual functionality offered.

Hey a new feature great!
Will I ever use it? No.

Does that make me want to carp on about it…No. I’m sure someone will use it. Like someone will use, Airplay, internet radio, the load of roon ready devices I won’t use, the arcane insides of room correction, etc etc.

5 Likes

I now use it, and very happy with it.

1 Like

I think it’s because ripping applies only to ROCK and a logical progression is Nucleus with Rippingale as a sort of one stop shop splitting Nucleus users into sub set of a Roon users

My comment was why develop a solution (ripping) that’s so well coveredone and out of line with Roon’s meta data look