Was Anyone Hoping that CD Ripping Would Be the Next Feature Enhancement?

Thanks for apologizing. Accepted.

I don’t think it is paranoia or concern for a conspiracy if it is patently obvious. I’m not saying it is something hidden.

If it’s obvious, then it isn’t a conspiracy. By definition -

And for those who see a conspiracy (whom ever they maybe) I include the following -

I don’t think it is a stated plan of Roon to lock users in though is it? That’s an assumption/accusation some are making.

Haters gonna hate.:expressionless:

2 Likes

Surely its the intention of any company to maintain regular customers who come back year on year

If that’s defined that as locking in so be it

If any customer decides that a product doesn’t , or no longer, fits his need then he has the option of moving on’

In Roon’s case a good proportion of users are “lifers” so obviously that can’t apply.

We must decide for ourselves what are “Show Stoppers” to making the change. Often users have quite disparate needs , eg between Jazz enthusiasts and Classical Enthusiasts

Yes of course a brand wants to inspire loyalty and returning/satisfied customers.

The accusation was that this feature (CD ripping) in particular contributed to user lock in, and was a deliberate policy. I just disagree with that, it makes no sense when one looks at the actual functionality offered.

Hey a new feature great!
Will I ever use it? No.

Does that make me want to carp on about it…No. I’m sure someone will use it. Like someone will use, Airplay, internet radio, the load of roon ready devices I won’t use, the arcane insides of room correction, etc etc.

5 Likes

I now use it, and very happy with it.

1 Like

I think it’s because ripping applies only to ROCK and a logical progression is Nucleus with Rippingale as a sort of one stop shop splitting Nucleus users into sub set of a Roon users

My comment was why develop a solution (ripping) that’s so well coveredone and out of line with Roon’s meta data look

Yes I see that, but to my mind Nucleus users are a subset because one needs to assume they have no other computer with which to carry out ripping. If they do then that’s fine, if they don’t then Nucleus now gives them that option. But it doesn’t tie them in, it just adds that function natively that they would otherwise be missing.

If you are referring to my posts, I’d appreciate if you would actually read and understand them, not scan them, develop your own version, then project that back onto me.

What I said was this is symbolic of Roon’s overall aspect of not being well inter-operable in the wider audio/media software ecosystem, ie. not importing custom embedded metatags, not allowing access by folder organization, and not exporting Roon tags. So work done to curate outside Roon can be tough to import, and work done inside Roon can be lost if one wants to also use their music files with another media player for any reason, or if Roon goes down in flames. Symbolic. Tone deaf given there are users that strongly feel that way.

Of course it’s deliberate. Many businesses use ways to lock in their customers. Doesn’t mean I have to like it. If I wanted to post on a forum about having to buy a $500 smartphone and then couldn’t use it with a different provider, I’d be perfectly within my rights to post that. Other might not agree with me, but it doesn’t make me a “hater” nor an “accuser.”

It is completely unnecessary to take what I said, reconfigure it to the most extreme position possible, then hold me responsible for it. No wonder the world is polarizing; we cannot even have a civil conversation about a piece of friggin software.

Jeez guys. You all are so damned defensive about this software no one is allowed to make any comments. It’s ridiculous. I considered myself part of this community; I have helped many people figure out how to use Roon, and provided a lot of ideas about how to get the best out of it. I’ve encouraged a lot of new users to stay with it.

But I’m going to try to really leave. I don’t enjoy it anymore. There are some toxic posters here. It’s not about people disagreeing with me. It’s about being pigeon holed into something you’re not (hater/accuser) and having your posts totally mischaracterized. This forum has that reputation. I’ve tried to counter-balance that and defend new posters that get flamed.

You guys can just have it. What are you going to do when there’s no one left to troll?

I find it and to believe that someone adopting Computer Audio as a hobby doesn’t have a computer, agree my multiples are strange but the simple laptop for mail and I Internet. …

My guess is that the new ripping feature was a necessary prelude to a new Nucleus model coming out in the fall, one with a built in CD player/ripper. That add-on probably has enormous margins, “at the margin.” Far better margins than a metadata upgrade, say.

Well, it’s possible, but I suspect the CD market is shrinking, so it’s easier to just add a CD drive via USB. Gearing up to produce a second stream of Nucleus products with a built-in drive seems to me to make less business sense than it would have done a few years back.

Hmm, I guess Innuos didn’t get that memo. :smirk:

I do too, but I’m sure they exist or devices like a Nucleus would not have features like CD ripping added.

Some of what Roon does as an app is rather unique so interoperability at times is difficult from the outset but I also agree with a few points you make. :slight_smile:

Roon could and should, in my opinion, expose more of its tags to the outside so tagging applications like SongKong, yate and the like can embed information Roon uses but at times doesn’t provide via its own metadata service.

OK, I don’t agree on that because I believe in metadata based organization. Hope it’s OK :wink:

On that, I do agree again. Mostly. Because it’s not always possible to export Roon tags – you cannot clearly attach everything to a track or an album, so this stuff is bound to be lost outside Roon.

• As things are, Roon exports Roon tags into tag but doesn’t make a difference if the tag was originally attached to an album or a track. And to make use of this you have to postprocess the metadata, I suppose because I doubt that other apps can use the comma separated values right away.
  • Any data one has manually added should get exported as well. Like a recording date or so. This doesn’t seem to be the case and that’s not fair.
  • BTW exported metadata should be encoded correctly. I’ve noticed issues with special characters. :roll_eyes:
  • Any data (for tracks and albums) sourced from musicbrainz should get exported, too. At least if Roon knows it is musicbrainz data (like if the album has a mb ID instead of the rovi ID).
  • But then there’s no artist or work entity to use on export or the effort to create an equivalent to this within a track would seem unreasonable. Roon could resort to something like artist.nfo files (xbmc / kodi users know those) but what about compositions? Composers? The unique features Roon has in this regard (for how long remains to be seen) entitle to “won’t export”, I’d say.

Also, Roon’s still work in progress and expecting bad things to happen spoils the experience a bit. That progress where it seems to be needed from certain points of view (mine included) seems to be slooooow is another story. But CD ripping being off the list I can now hope for (even) better things to come … :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m a stick in the mud because I would prefer Roon NOT implement ripping,

You don’t have to use it and it won’t bother you. I find people have cars with all sorts of adjustable gadgets that they set once and never use again. They don’t complain having them though as it has a certain ‘Me Too’ cache…
I suspect Roon has plenty of clients who want and need this also, it may be a hurdle that stops people buying in.

ROCK, not Roon. It is hardware associated, not software. So this is a Nucleus/ROCK enhancement and it brings users of said products into line with users of other OS’s who can implement ripping if they so wish. This may well have been on a subconscious wish list for me because I bought an enclosure with a CD slot on my latest MOCK build last year and went straight on line to order a drive when this was announced. It was also built with 2gb of unused SSD storage space so I’m good to go!