Was Anyone Hoping that CD Ripping Would Be the Next Feature Enhancement?

I hope Roon don’t go that way, do you really think they would? The entire ethos behind the software is multi-platform. I imagine they would lose the majority of their user base if they did. I can’t see that happening, it’s already a niche product.

Who know’s, apart from Roon.

Cdparanoia is one the oldest rippers on Linux and used as the base for a lot of ripping hardware including Vortexbox machines and likely Sonic Transporters. It’s far from crap and has had years and years of development and also has different modes of ripping , Roon has chosen the one that does the most stringent one There is more to life than windows and Mac’s for ripping.

This is a ridiculous statement.It’s a part of the Roon ecosystem, it’s free and you have a choice to use it or not why should it be left with no development because some of you don’t use it.

2 Likes

Isn’t this where the Roon team started out with Sooloos? You think that they want to go back to that?

Best wishes to your son, hope he is doing well.

2 Likes

I think it is great that I now have a fallback for CD ripping. Bravo Roon!

Thanks, the doctor at the children’s hospital gave him an anti-nausea tablet and put him straight on Tamiflu, which has had a remarkable effect, you wouldn’t know he was sick today apart from the fact he is extremely irritable.

What terrifies my wife and I now is our 10 month old son catching it. He has been suffering from bronchiolitis for over 6 weeks (his second bout in the 10 months since he was born) and does not sleep at night as he can’t breathe properly.

2 Likes

Best wishes for a rapid recovery. How terrifying. I’m sure your doctors at the children’s hospital will be able to address your understandable concerns for your young son.
This stuff puts all the Roon comments into proper perspective.
@58LesPaul, I was back in my old home town, Waukesha Wisconsin over the weekend. Found myself on Les Paul drive. Waukesha is the former home of this musical instrument genius!

3 Likes

Feel your pain nothing worse than really sick kids, I hope he continues to improve and your youngest misses it.

3 Likes

Great news.

Hope the little fella dodges it and quickly gets better mate.

2 Likes

Thanks Gents, much appreciated

3 Likes

You are going through troubles, thoughts with you.

1 Like

I think you could argue it the other way. If the Nucleus+ is much better, or nearly as good as it’s competition which includes CD ripping capabilities, they really needed to do it to remain competitive. Roon basically developed ROCK, and made that build capability available for free. I’m grateful for that and have a hard time being resentful they spend some resources to get a little bit more return on their investment.

I hear your argument about inter-operability and it is true on face-value. But one’s music collection is only isolated in that regard if they are a complete putz and/or they just don’t care. If you are spending ~$1500 as a premium over ROCK/Nuc to avoid the hour’s work, then an extra $38 for SongKong and ample metadata is a breeze.

Plus we are all here, members of the Roon forum with our CD-based Music collection ripped years ago, now all ordered and imported into Roon, complimented by downloaded material and streaming subscriptions, however the majority of the mass market has either jumped directly to streaming services, such as Spotify and Apple Music and left their CDs on the shelf or some that will still only play CDs and are unaware of subscription streaming at all.
So when the main mass market moves to a server based setup and either wants to convert their physical CD library or want to access their legacy CDs, as they are not on Spotify or Apple Music, this market will want a ‘one-stop-shop’, a single device/box, you just feed CDs into and they are then automatically imported. There will be no file based manipulation, no manual metadata updates and with CD ripping as part of ROCK, Roon can enable companies licencing ROCK into music servers or the their own Nucleus line of hardware to cater for this market.

I still have not ripped all my cd collection as flac yet. It will take me a while yet. But having Roon do it will take some of the pain away.

Not sure exactly what the OP is requesting. I don’t have a Nucleus and don’t plan on getting one. For now my Synology is working just fine as a core, and when it isn’t I’ll move to ROCK on NUC. But I would love to have a ripper I could use under Windows or, preferably, Linux, that would seamlessly rip my classical CD collection and tag using Roon’s database. None of the rippers I’ve used so far–Musichi, JRiver, EAC, Sound Juicer–does this without at least a moderate amount of massaging. I work with computers a lot and between wet vacuuming an LP and setting the stylus down on it, versus massaging tags, I still prefer the former. I’m not saying Roon should drop everything to work on this, but that’s one “feature”–a stand alone Linux or Windows program–that would make me very happy.

I love this move by Roon.

Just got myself an iPad Pro to replace the standalone computer I have. With the coming iPadOS there seem to be the possibility to connect via SMB which is what I need in order to connect to ROCK to transfer files. The only thing missing was a ripping feature. And now here it is.

If all plans out accordingly, it looks like my home can be “computer-free” (no laptops or standalone computers) later this year.

1 Like

David, I use Python Audio Tools on Linux to rip. Specifically, cdda2track, something like this:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Rip CD placed in CD drive
#
cddrive=${1:-/dev/cdrom}
echo $cddrive
cdda2track -c ${cddrive} -V quiet -t flac -q 8 -D -d /tmp --format '%(album_name)s/%(track_number)2.2d %(track_name)s.flac'
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
   notify-send -t -1 -u critical "rip-cd" "CD rip failed!"
fi
eject ${cddrive}

Note that this automatically checks the AccurateRip DB.

Two things to consider:

Does Roon’s ripping software process HDCD CDs? There is potentially an extra 4 bits of information to be had.

Does Roon’s ripping software correctly deal with CDs with pre-emphasis? If not, the rips will likely playback excessively bright,

Never noticed any of my rips being bright and I have used the same ripping engine for years.