Web sites for music writers? Lyricists, in particular?

I have a friend who’s a retired programmer, and would like to remake herself as a writer of songs and poetry. She wants both to put her stuff out there, and to offer her services for someone who needs lyrics written.

She has a Web site, hand-built as we programmers tend to do, but she doesn’t know what to put on it or how anyone would find it. I suggested that perhaps she should shift to a platform, instead. But which one? Is this an Etsy shop? Should she try SoundCloud, which seems to be more about the sounds? SubStack? What?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

She could try The Prose. Despite its name, it is mainly focused on poetry…

It has a few workflow idiosyncrasies but having been in the business, I am sure she can handle that :slight_smile:.

1 Like

A web site is ideal - 100% control over the content, appearance, and so on - but it’s getting the traffic that’s the issue. I’d suggest she go ahead with the website then drive traffic to it via Facebook, Twitter (or any other social media platforms). The model that seems to work well is 1) prepare the content on the website (blog post, new article, whatever), then 2) announce it via whatever platforms seem appropriate. Over time she’ll build up traffic and her audience, assuming there’s a market for / interest in her material.

1 Like

One of the complicating factors is the emphasis on building mailing lists. This requires some kind of sign-up machinery that’s tough to organize if you’re used to a static HTML+images kind of Web site.

I’d be interested in knowing more about platforms that would support that.

It’s been a while since I designed a static site - I switched to Wordpress quite a few years ago - but I think mailchimp allows you to create forms that can be embedded on a static site.

1 Like