Well - It Happened Again

The panel sounds like a great solution, I wondered how to get power to some circuits when not doing all. I had a vision of extension cords running around the house.

We have above ground pole power and stuff happens, squirrels, accidents, etc, Outages don’t happen often but once in a while to too often for me. Seems as I get older I’m less tolerant of interruptions to the comfort of my surroundings.

1 Like

That’s a very tidy panel, but that label at the top makes my screwdriver hand twitch.

1 Like

Installed this to whole house.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-40-kA-3-Phase-Panel-Mounted-Delta-Power-Systems-Surge-Protective-Device-SDSA3650D/204300730

Only thing to fix is - BOSE:-)!

I have all my equipment behind a UPS (in fact some on separate UPS’). The internet connection is fibre. Not sure if that offers a degree of protection from a lightning strike?

It’s glass so won’t conduct , that’s what my fibre supplier claimed

Also mine is underground, the copper phone wires I had an issue with were strung on poles

I think don’t worry, I have had fibre in our conditions for 3 years with no sparks( tempting fate as summer approaches)

I used to do the same thing to the Emotiva blue power button leds …I know it’s on as the light isn’t amber and on movie nights I can hear the audion and not be annoyed by the power leds

1 Like

I have so much hate for blue LEDs. I keep lots of other colors on hand to replace them. I’m also a fan of knocking the brightness down with a larger current limiting resistor.

Sheldon

3 Likes

I use the low-tech solution of a piece of tape…

2 Likes

Blue tack it’s still blue then.

2 Likes

@Sheldon_Stokes, When we were designing the Nucleus, I refused to put an LED on the front and to use a rather dim white LED on the power button in the back. On the first rev, it was actually downcast onto a non-reflective painted surface. Unfortunately this proved too subtle so in “rev b”, we put in a power button with LED built into a cutout of the power symbol.

Anyway, replacing LEDs and adding resistors into third party products is more than I’m willing to do, but it makes me happy that people exist that feel the hatred towards bright and blue LEDs as well.

@ged_hickman1, blue tack!!! Such a great idea! I need to find some black tack now.

Blue tack, bungee cord, and duct tape.

Oh yeah, and velcro.

Indispensable tools.

I recently acquired a Bluesound Node 2 which is great with the exception of a bright blue led on the front and worse a strobing orange LAN activity led on the back.

The blue led can be dimmed or turned off in the settings but alas the orange one cannot and it lights up the whole wall behind it in the evenings.

Fortunately blue tack came to the rescue, and blots out the light entirely. Much to my satisfaction.

Indelible black ink marker pens also work well on plastic LEDs. However, those Ethernet LEDs are useful for diagnosing issues, so subduing them is better than having none at all (are you listening Apple?).

1 Like

I cover almost all of the light, leaving just enough to see the status but reducing the searchlight like intensity.

That is the ideal way to go i think. However in this case the node sits on top of a sideboard with no other cover around it so even a small gap would still illuminate the white wall behind. It had to be blotted out totally!

Paint the wall black, obviously…

1 Like