What are the rules around taking photos or filming in a public place?

I noticed that the Amish community near me does not show up.on Google maps, their entire property is “removed” from the satellite views.

I must admit I wince to see my son post pictures of my grandson online. It’s a generational thing I think.

2 Likes

In Brasil, where I am located, permission of the people in a photo is generally required. The law is particularly attentive to images of children. The legal premise is that people control the rights to images taken of them, with some exceptions. For this reason, images of children’s faces are often blurred in the media, even when a photo is innocuous.

As a photographer, this thread makes me sad. Imagine, if you will, a world where one couldn’t see the famous Doisneau (or was it HCB?) photo of the young Parisian boy proudly carrying a baguette (from the 1930’s I believe). Or the HCB photo of children playing in a hole in a wall, etc etc.

That’s where we are now, with all of these privacy laws and concerns - it strangles art and expression and the documentation of culture. Sure, it’s a different world of media dissemination we live in, and there are bad actors, but sadly we also now live in fear of creating those images that could potentially be masterpieces but are now asked to delete by the subjects, despite the innocence, beauty or drama the image could evoke. A case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. Perhaps a reason to shoot film now if one is serious about making great street photography.

10 Likes