What we are listening to [2020]

Enjoying my new RAAL-Requisite SR1a headphones (see post) which are remarkably detailed and precise and clear. So I went to this album.
From a review in Stereophile:
‘Trees of Light’ begins with Karin Nakagawa striking savagely hieratic chords on 25-string koto. It sounds as if it causes physical pain to play the koto this hard; if so, it’s worth it. In sound as in title, ‘Krippaingler’ (If You Listen) is an earnest of three muscians’ clear intent to create music of bracing originality, strength, grace, darkness, light, gravitas, wit, and utter attentiveness to each other’s silences and sounds. […] this is Willemark’s first recording for ECM’ since Anders Jormin’s ‘In winds, in light’ (2004). Too long. Her combination of field-voice vocal strengths, declamatory sensitivity, and impeccable rhythm is unique. […] Throughout ‘Trees of Light’, Jormin’s precision, delicacy, and power on bass provide counterpoint of Bach-like elegance. And it is all beautifully recorded: intimate, spacious, austere, rich.

The dramatic playing of the koto brings to mind similar (to my untutored eyes and ears) playing and instrument in the Zhang Yimou’s movie Shadow, although it is Chinese. Both lay to rest any notion of this music being calm and genteel — contemplative, yes, but violent.

Both are strongly recommended. Stunning especially on these headphones, I have to rewatch the movie with them.

2 Likes