What Are Your ‘Holy Grails’? What Are The Ones That ‘Got Away’?

Amazon - Luxury

My first Ring was Karajan on vinyl 25 LPs or even more.

I went on the bus from Hyde to Manchester to find it , HMV, I think , then had to lug it home. I was too knackered to listen it

Fresh from University, a. Wagner Geek at 21 :face_holding_back_tears::smiling_imp: beat that. Solti only came on CD Circa ‘86 one of the first CDs along with Brendel Beethoven Sonatas.

‘Ee nostalgia ain’t what it used to be

1 Like

Mine is a story of woe and much gnashing of teeth, but led to my full immersion into digital music.

Because of my job I move around a lot, and on one of those moves (to a condo in Cambridge Massachusetts) I stored 700 albums in a attic crawlspace while I was moving things from an old condo to a new condo.

When I collected the albums a month later, the overwhelming majority of them were worked beyond repair. The only surviving album? Jethro Tull’s “Thick as A Brick.”

Pour one out for me, or call me stupid for storing them in a place that I should have known would have gotten hotter than 100°. Either one is appropriate…

On the plus side I never went back to vinyl, began collecting CDs from that moment on… And then of course eventually to digital files only.

3 Likes

Rob that is a sad tale indeed, though it sounds like you survived unscathed, or at least covering it well.

My vinyl lived in the attic for 25 years and as I live in the UK it was almost all playable at the end of it. I did worry a couple of times during hot summers, but I guess hot is relative.

3 Likes

There are always those ‘ones’ that you remember buying with such anticipation, aren’t there Mike?

It’s all part of the ‘magic’ of this hobby! :smiley:

I have the recently-released MoFi vinyl release of ELO’s Eldorado. However, they’ve just released a One-Step version:

OneStep-ELO

It’s received a great review from Ken Kessler in Hi-Fi News & Record Review.

I don’t need this release, as I’m more than happy with the earlier MoFi release.

But I’m tempted… :grimacing:

2 Likes

I thought the rain kept everything cool in Wales :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

If you wait long enough that is 100% true Mike :grimacing:

Though I went into the attic yesterday to get some suit cases (and store some new empty audiophile equipment boxes) and wow it was hot up there after the recent good weather.
It will probably rain again in a few days :laughing:

2 Likes

one of my regrets is buying the initial release of “The Yes Album”, and playing it as a teenager, after coming back from the pub (on headphones)… and scratching it :zipper_mouth_face:

I bought another later pressing - but if I ever needed to be persuaded that first pressings are best. It just doesn’t have the dynamism or crispness.

1 Like

Damn!! I succumbed! Even though I have the recent MoFi 33.3rpm and the accompanying SACD, I just had to have this.

And OMG!! My jaw is just on the floor right now. What a masterpiece! :smiley:

2 Likes

One of my regrets is a couple of card board boxes filled with 45 records. They were in excellant condition and were thrown away when I was a kid during a move.

Years went by is when I discovered they were gone.

They were mostly from the mid 50s to the 60s.

Bill Hailey & the Comets, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Supremes etc. Had a couple from Elvis with 2 songs on each side. Very rare.

–MD

2 Likes