What Are Your ‘Holy Grails’? What Are The Ones That ‘Got Away’?

OK. HERE WE GO!

What are the recordings, albums, CD’s, vinyl records that ‘got away’ from you?

The ones that you you think: ‘DAMN! I wish I’d picked that up!’, or ‘DAMN! I WANT that album!’

My ‘Holy Grail’? This:

It’s now thousands of pounds on eBay. No chance :pensive:

Over to you! :grinning:

5 Likes

Not vinyl but I think I would really have liked to buy all the Depeche Mode collector edition albums on SACD/DVD/CD.

Some of these are now £150 + but I managed to snag my first this week at a good price and now I am bidding on a couple more that are currently going for reasonable prices :grin:

3 Likes

Don’t have any running into 4 figures …yet.
These two are now spendy.
Bought very reasonable by myself.

4 Likes

The PCM ‘High Res’ stereo files from the DVD’s run at 24/48. Obviously, you get the surround mixes on the DVD-A’s/SACD’s.

Just out of interest, why did you want this set Michael? For surround, or stereo?

The Depeche Mode Special Editions were unusual, because they ‘underplayed’ the SACD element, probably because SACD was in decline at that time. Ironically, all these years later, it is probably the most important aspect of these releases.

1 Like

My most expensive records according to Discogs.

Both near mint and Megadeth comes with a fully signed tour book.

4 Likes

R-9822053-1509431972-5462.jpeg (1)

This was the only early Beatles album I did not own.

3 Likes

Mainly for high resolution PCM and DSD for ripping though I will take the surround rips for PlexAmp and 5.1 through my Nuc which is plugged in to the TV and plays through the Sonos sound bar, sun and surrounds

1 Like

Not a “Holy Grail” but one that I wish I had a better recording of…

5 Likes

Is this about personal collectability urges or financial value?

It’s about ‘what got away’. Nothing to do with financial gain.

2 Likes

Exactly that for me, loved and lost or loved but never owned in the format I now want it on :grin:

2 Likes

OK. Decca have thankfully released the whole Solti Ring Cycle on both SACD and vinyl.

I’ve ordered the lot. The first three operas are due tomorrow on both SACD and vinyl, with Götterdämmerung on both SACD and vinyl due at the end of June this year.

Maybe this will be my ‘Grail’? I hope so. But, ironically without hearing the Esoteric box I’ll never know… :wink:

I’m particularly excited, because the best version of this masterpiece that I have is a rip of the stereo 2013 BRA that came in the deluxe boxed-set. At 24/44.1 it sounds fine, but at 44.1kHz, I suspect it’s simply an upsample from the RB files.

According to reports, we now have a brand-new 24/192 transfer from the original master tapes, that will obviously be converted to DSD for SACD.

3 Likes

This is one that did not get away:

This was my favorite college band back in the late ‘80s at the University of Kansas. The Homestead Grays, fronted by Chuck Mead. You can’t find this anywhere, as far as I know the LP was a limited and band-funded release. One of the few reasons I still have a turntable.

1 Like

For the moment I do not have any physical media so I was thinking I have no holy grails. But now I remember… I had 20 years ago some mp3s from a friend. I did listen to it a lot. But I do not remember the name, the cover, nothing. All I suspect is that Tricky was somehow involved with it. There were maybe 10 tracks, with interviews, people in prison convicted of various crimes telling their stories, mainly London/England 90’s crime scene, all set to some trip hop music background. I searched but with no result. I would like to find this holy grail.

3 Likes

Not a hugely know Indie band from Manchester there one and only album is so hard to find, my ex had it on Vinyl and missed it for the last 26 years. Finally found the next best thing on Discogs a compilation that contains most of the album and other tracks. Again not easy to find and not available on streaming, I have two tracks on some Cherry Red comps. Will be with me soon. Paid more than I would like. But sometimes you have to pay for the good things in life.

2 Likes

I got the Ring when it was current , this is the SACD version I think

There is a new remastered version halfway released at the moment ….WANT WANT …

2 Likes

There was a big review in Gramophone, I can dig it out if you want

1 Like

Cheers Mike! :smiley:

I’ve seen some positive reviews of the new releases. Some say that the SACD releases are superior to the Esoteric set released over ten- years ago. I hope so.

This little lot arrived yesterday, courtesy of Amazon:

I’ve got some serious listening ahead over the next few weeks!

1 Like

OMG! I’m only a few minutes into ‘Dad Rheingold’ on SACD. I’m flabbergasted that this set sounds so good!

This is SOMETHING SPECIAL!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I remember: Every time I went to a new city, I’d go to the used record stores with my list. I still remember some of the finds. What’s amazing is that though the labels didn’t find them worth reissuing on vinyl back then, almost all got released on CD.

There are a bunch of records I have on vinyl that I wish I could get digitally - mostly early 80s punk and hip hop, especially compilations and singles.

1 Like