What aspects of hardware of the core/storage make the biggest difference to Roon performance?

What aspects of hardware of the core/storage make the biggest difference to Roon performance?

Ssd and processor speed, possibly not in that order but that’s my best bet a healthy ram size is always good…16gb as a good base if you can more is ok

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I still find the whirring a bit annoying when I load Roon. I have an I7 with 16gb of RAM. I have an OS boot drive but all my music is on a 4TB WD Red, which is only 5400rpm. It is not feasible to own a 4TB SSD at the moment

The recommendation for an SSD is for the OS and for the Rooon database. You don’t need and SSD for storage.

See this for more details from Roon.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/suggested-hardware/90/20?u=brian

Thanks Phil. Can you explain to me what you mean when you say Roon database?

Roon’s database is where it stores all the information about the albums and tracks in your library. Roon is constantly reading and writing to that database and so having this on an SSD is one of the best things you can do to improve the performance of Roon.

I don’t think there is any choice in its location it is set by Roon which puts it on the same drive as your OS stats from. I think you only need SSDs of 120 mBytes to run most OSS and Roon so so they are not prohibitively expensive. There are recommendations on the space the database needs earlier in the thread I linke in my last post.

Maybe other who know more will chime in.

1 Like

Thanks. So if I have installed Roon on my SSD OS drive it will automatically put the database info there, right?

This KB page describes the database and where to find it.

When you find it, back it up. It can save a lot of angst to have a backup. Various backup features within Roon are under development, but in the current release you need to quit Roon and copy the database to an appropriate location (ie: different storage device or media).

Thanks. So if I have installed Roon on my SSD OS drive it will automatically put the database info there, right?

Yep.

As Paul says SSD and processor are the important aspects. More than 16GB of RAM is ok, but you won’t come close to using all of 16GB running Roon or RoonServer by itself.

The issue with macs these days is they they are essentially locked into the ram setup when ordered unless its a 27" or macpro