What budget fanless case for NUC7I3BNH with ROCK?

Hi,

Thinking of getting one. My NUC is far from quiet.

What would be decent enough but still on a budget?

Would Akasa Newton S7 be a good choice for example?

I would like to buy something from amazon.de.

Is it hard to change case by the way?

I used an Akasa Plato X7 for my build, and it works very well. If the Newton S7 fits your NUC it would be a good choice.

This is what I have for my 7i5BEH NUC, works perfectly, and costs around 100 euros new. Never gets more than mildly warm to touch. Fitting was not too tricky if you take it slow.

Prefer Plato X7 to Newton X7.

Hi @Henrik_123 - you can see my similar deliberations on this thread. Having just completed the transfer it seems to have gone ok and I’ll feedback the answer from Akasa re. my question in that thread.

As for whether it’s hard - it’s not technically demanding but I found removing the connectors very fiddly and delicate. Make sure you have some cleaner and lint free cloth to remove the old pads/paste (as per thread). Oh, and if you want WiFi functionality (I didn’t) note that you’ll need an external aerial (additional purchase from Akasa). Good luck!

Is there any advantages of the Plato for a i3? From pictures the Newton seems to have higher WAF.

Thanks, I will have look.

Sounds great.

Btw. Is it worth changing the power supply to something better if I plan on connecting the DAC directly to the NUC? Would a Ifi ipower or something work? I do not want to use something from sbooster because of the size and looks.

It offers greater thermal dissipation. This isn’t needed but you may or may not feel it is desirable (and could be trumped by WAF). Either way, I would say that the Akasa photos are rather flattering :wink: