What Chord gear do you have?

Chord Etude listening session is planned!

Thanks Martin, the N-03T is out of my budget but I have been looking at the Lumin U1 mini & Stack (with LPS)
I had an NP5 using it with a Primare NP30 but found it very ā€œclunkyā€ (probably due to the older NP DAC).

Iā€™ll have to find a friendly dealer for an audition. :pray:t4:

1 Like

The Lumin is around Ā£600 more than the SA LINK/VOLT combo.

I have both Lumin and SA products, and theyā€™re both wonderful.

Good luck auditioning!

1 Like

I have had a Lumin U1 mini in front of my Chord Qutest for a few years nowā€¦ All I can say is Wowā€¦ I would not change a thingā€¦

2 Likes

My Lumin U1 Mini feeds my Chord Hugo 2TT/M-Scaler - itā€™s absolutely amazing. And my Quest for my office setup sounds gorgeous.

1 Like

Never owned any Chord gear.
Whilst I do not doubt that it is a solid brand with very high quality electronics, I just canā€™t accept the product design asthetics that are in use.

Their full size reference range looks like it fell out an episode of Lost in Space. Add to this the fact that Iā€™m colour blind and those glowing balls on some of the range just leave me screaming help!

2 Likes

Martin, I have arranged a visit to meet Theo Stack for a coffee & ā€œlook aroundā€ in a couple of weeks. Gotta sort something with Lumin now.
Thanks for the heads up :+1:t4:

1 Like

No probs Paul :smiley:

Whichever you choose, theyā€™re both great bits of kit.

The only advantage the U1 Mini has over the LINK I can think of, is itā€™s multitude of different digital outputs. But as youā€™re going into DAVE, all you need is USB. Plus Peter at Lumin @wklie has confirmed in previous posts that if you use the USB output on the U1/Mini the other outputs canā€™t be used simultaneously, due to timing/jitter errors on the other outputs.

Are you going M Scaler into DAVE? People often forget that the HMS actually forms a decent ā€˜bridgeā€™, with great upscaled outputs into other DACā€™s. Iā€™m currently going SA LINK via USB to HMS, and then TOSLINK (24/192 max) into my Esoteric K-01X with sublime results.

Yes, Mscaler-Dave-Amp. The bridge is on the cards so that I can locate the server in a different room so a Roon Ready device will offer the benefits of full control.
There all sorts of ideas ā€œfloating aroundā€ so itā€™ll be a week or three yetā€¦

1 Like

Hugo2 with 2go streamer. This is a great ā€œportable-around-the-house-headphone-systemā€ Roon solution. Itā€™s not perfect, but I love it as a Roon user. The process for updating firmware is a mess. And while it can play direct from SD cards, the lack of a decent software player makes that a nonstarter for me. But for my main use case ā€“ listening to Roon over WiFi anywhere in the house ā€“ itā€™s been great.

4 Likes

Hugo2+2Go is my setup too, driving a pair of Meze Empyrean for evening and late night (and early hours of the morning; Roon Radio is addictive!) listening. I love being able to wander around the house, go to the kitchen to get a drink, etc while still listening. I do sometimes get dropouts and track skips if I wander far enough to trigger a handoff between stations on my mesh WiFi but itā€™s rock solid when Iā€™m not going walkabout.

3 Likes

My Chord Ultima Pre 2 has been on order for 5+ months. Iā€™m still on the ā€˜waiting listā€™ with a estimated lead time of another two weeks. We will see!!!

My dealer has advised that Chord have dispatched (only two weeks so far) my Dave so it should arrive any dayā€¦.

1 Like

Have listened to an Etude today. Took it home to listen it with my own system and djeeeezā€¦ The difference is so big that my wife heard it immediately when she came home :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll take a few more days testing, but based on ā€˜first impressionsā€™ this baby is here to stay.

1 Like

Using 2GO + Hugo2 as a part of my hifi system. Connect to amplifier via RCA cables. According to the amp manual (Yamaha 2200) the maximum input volume is 2,8V. As far as I know the linear out of Hugo2 is 3V. Is it ok to go with linear mode of Hugo2 or better to make volume level kind of Blue color level? Thanks

1 Like

I had a Hugo1 and then Dave, and preferred the sound when its volume was dialled down a bit below max. That was with a Naim preamp so I canā€™t promise it will be the same for you, but try it and see what you think.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris!

Hi

There is no true fixed line out mode for Hugo2, not in the typical sense anyway.

It is simply a ā€˜presetā€™ value for the digital volume output.

Volume control is entirely in the digital domain.

To get down to more normal ~ 2Vrms output, start at 3V (preset) and then do 4 volume ā€˜clicksā€™ down.

This is same for Chord Mojo.

2 Likes

Very helpful. Thanks!

Decided to buy the Etude. Itā€™s not funny what this amp does with my PMCā€™s.

My dealer was a little bit worried that the combination of a Chord amp and PMC speakers would be ā€¦ too exciting, but I think itā€™s an excellent match. Delicate and sweet when required, but when you turn up the volumeā€¦

1 Like