What Chord gear do you have?

It’s a great combo John. I have the HMS/TT2 too, and it’s very addictive. I’m still in awe about how ‘vanilla’ RB 16/44/1 files sound.

I used to ‘feed’ the Chord stack directly from my Nucleus via USB. But then I looked into a dedicated endpoint. I settled on The LINK from Stack Audio:

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/stack-audio-link-ii-streaming-bridgereclocker

It made a marked improvement in my system, and using the LINK has elevated the performance of the HMS/TT2 to a new level. I know Roon recommend dedicated endpoints rather than direct connection to the core, but I didn’t realise how much of an improvement could be realised until I heard it.

3 Likes

Just got the Hugo TT2 and set it up tonight and…wow! The incomparable detail; the fluid, almost liquid instrumentation; the commanding yet not overpowering bass!

I bought it as a solid state headphone amp and to drive my soon-to-arrive ampsandsound Kenzie Ovation tube amp and ZMF Aeolus, but when I A/B’d theTT2 to my (also just-purchased) Parasound P6, it was no contest and now I have the TT2 feeding my main system as well.

I love the P6 DAC, but I’m astounded by the TT2.

4 Likes

Had the same experience. I had the nucleus connected directly to the Qutest and sounded great. I bought the SA Link II with LPS and heard surprising improvement in soundstage width, height and even smoothed the treble a bit. Very pleased with that little unit.

1 Like

I have lived with my HUMS/TT2 for a few weeks and loving every minute. However, there is a little niggle which I am trying to resolve and that is Volume control. As can be seen from the screenshot I am using DSP to control volume via Roon the result being the green indicator. I know it’s not an issue from a sound perspective but am just curious if there’s another way to control volume via Roon without the additional DSP control (& without adding an Aries G1 or similar) I have tried every combination I can think of without success.

I’ve had a Hugo, TT and now have an M-Scaler DAVE which is magnificent but alas there is no way to control the volume on either the M-Scaler or DAVE from Roon, despite this being a possibility of USB - Chord haven’t implemented it. So I just use the Chord remote volume control and nothing on Roon, just a direct signal path. The Chord remote works quicker in any case.

4 Likes

Thanks Jez, I suspected there was no Chord/Roon method. Time to reflect on wether or to pursue it and involve more expense :roll_eyes:

Did you not get a remote with your Chord stuff? I got a huge one with my DAVE, which was mostly useless since most of the buttons didn’t do anything, so I got them to send me the small one, which works fine. Then got another small one with the M Scaler. I think a physical remote is always going to be more responsive than going into an app on your phone, waiting for it to connect and all that, so I am happy to use the Chord remote. I also figure that I would rather give my DAC the full untampered with digital signal.

I have questioned the same thing with my TT2. I thought volume control was a criterion for Roon Ready? I too use the included remote.

I have my TT2 in DAC mode, and have the volume in Roon fixed.

I just use the remote for my preamp for volume control.

2 Likes

I don’t have any…should I be worried? :zipper_mouth_face: sorry couldn’t resist :relaxed:

1 Like

Yes, I have the remote but control Roon with my iPad. That certainly the remote is quick but I had assumed that Roon Ready meant just that!
I’ll have to grin and bear it (or spend more on a bridge/preamp that can control volume!).

Hi Paul,

Chord HMS & TT2 are ‘Roon Tested’, and not ‘Roon Ready’. The differences are subtle, but they’re there.

1 Like

Oh well, I’ll have to speak to the bank manager…

Yes, it’s a bit confusing but I hope this clarifies it:

1 Like

Did you find a solution to this?

@ged_hickman1 recommended this link (Thanks Ged) when I was trying to resolve another problem:-

I went into device setup, settings, advanced and ticked the box, as shown & that resolved a few problems including signal path issues, It’s worth a try….

2Qute here. Bought a good mains filter which made a clear difference. Somehow especially dacs seem to put noise on the net and are also susceptible to it. Then bought a new “ high end” power supply, again a clear upgrade in sound quality.

1 Like

Got a really good offer, from the retailer, for my TT2 this morning, DAVE now on order!

Not sure what the waiting list is like, my Ultima 6 took three months.

(FTR. Fanthorpes in Hull are offering trade a in of TT2 against a new Dave, giving the full original purchase price of the TT2 against Dave. (UK only I guess).

I am am thinking about moving my Roon core to another room when my Dave arrives (in a week or three) so I will need to find a suitable bridge.
I have one or two ideas but I wonder if any of you guys might have any recommendations?

I suppose it depends on how big your budget is Paul?

Given no budgetary constraints, my first choice would be the Esoteric N-03T:

More ‘sensibly’ the Lumin U1 is absolutely superb, closely followed by the Lumin U1 Mini.

Personally, I use the excellent little Stack Audio Link (with the SA LPS Volt) to feed my M Scaler/TT2 via USB:

If you didn’t want/need USB, then the Primare NP5 is an excellent bridge:

All of the above are Roon-Ready.

3 Likes