What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II

Audio GD Reference 10.2 fed from Ultra Rendu

• Living room: SoTM 200 Ultra + Marantz HD-Dac1
  • Gym: Squeezebox Touch + Klipsch The Three
  • Bedroom: Squeezbox Classic

I’m using a Google Chromecast with a Roon Nucleus. Still looking for a Roon Ready network streamer that covers me for:

1. DSD256 over network
  2. Compact size for my shelf
  3. Minimal inputs and controls

Why? You are ruling out a lot of good devices by specifying that number for DSD.

1 Like

Holo Audio Spring Kitsune’ level 3
Fed by mac mini with ripped CDs and running roon
Tidal service enabled.

Because I buy Classical downloads from nativedsd.com in DSD256.

3 Likes

Deserves the best treatment then. :slightly_smiling_face:

Another vote for HDMI into Classe SSP-800. This lets me seamlessly include all my 5.1 music from SACD, DVD-Audio, and Blu-rays into the listening rotation.

1 Like

@Peter_Galvin1

Hi Peter,

What is your comment on the Holo Audio Spring Kitsune’ level 3?

Thank you.

Lampizator Atlantic Plus - balanced model with volume control and DSD 256 capability, superclock upgrade, jupiter output capacitor upgrade, Emission Labs 274B type rectifier tube. DAC was almost half price at £5000; total price has been £5583 with the various upgrades.

2 Likes

I really can’t overemphasis how much I love this DAC.
It makes lower-res / compressed audio sound very good - very listenable instead of exposing its flaws.
It makes CD quality sound excellent / not digital while still revealing detail and keeping highs and lows (unlike tube, in my experience)
It makes high res sound insanely great - like vinyl but without the vinyl flaws.
In fact this dac has made me regret getting back into vinyl. If I’d had it a couple of years ago I probably wouldn’t have bothered getting a turntable and buying lots of lps.

So yah, I kinda like it :-).
Note that just announced is the Holo Audio Spring 2, for about the same price as the original. No one seems to sell off their Spring 1 used (so not much chance of getting one at a discount) so might as well go for the 2 unless you are in a hurry. Not clear if the 2 will get all of the levels of upgrades as the 1, so if interested check out the kitsune’ website. It’s worth giving them a call btw because they might have a refurbed or loaner available at a discount…

1 Like

SMSL M100 being feed DSD512 from Roon Core

Bought at 81$ …

This has to be one of the best hifi-deals ever !

best sub 100$ DAC … 2019 — na ever :smiley:

I use the 780D2 as well! Sounds fantastic!

Theta DsPro Generation V(a) retailed over 6kusd back in the Nineties.
Concero HD (as USB to SPDIF Bridge) retails 700usd.

playing PCM/Redbook only 24/48Khz

RME ADI-2 DAC ($1000), optical from computer

3 Likes

PS Audio DirectStream w/Bridge II, connected via network. I just DLed HQPlayer, and haven’t started exploring yet.

Hey man, I was wondering if you could provide me with good settings to use with the SP1000 for roon. I’m just using the SP1000SS as a DAC. I would appreciate your input!

Have you upgraded the renderer to V2?
How would you compare sound through either the network renderer vs the Quad USB.
I have the Analog DAC with Quad USB and am considering the network renderer now that it is Roon certified.

Hello Omar,

One of the nice things about the SP1000 is that you don’t have to touch it for it to sound good. I contacted A&K before regarding the EQ and other settings and that is what they told me about the unit. The EQ is meant for a studio engineer and really does not need to be used.

So bottom line I leave it alone and have never had the need to adjust anything. Sorry if that does not provide much help but that is one of the reasons I purchased the SP1000.

1 Like