What do you use to rip?

I have used dbPoweramp with AccurateRip enabled ever since I moved into the streaming fold many years ago, and I cannot recall any significant issues or problems.

I went for the Naim Uniticore and have never regretted it. Built like a tank, great service back if needed and easy to organise backups. Good app to control.

It was the drive. Quick and simple rip with another. Although one of my discs it can’t find any metadata. Ho hum

To answer the OP, I use EZ CD Audio Converter. It is a real Swiss army knife; rips, converts, burns and is also a decent tag editor. Integrates with GD3, WMP, MusicBrainz, Discogs and Freedb for track listings, album art etc.

Just one downside, its Windows only…

You’re not really surprised though, are you? :wink:

If Roon can’t find metadata, and doing a manual search in the “Identify Album” function doesn’t throw up a match, then you’ll have to add the basic metadata yourself using Roon, I’m afraid.

A little… althoug it was a cd bought at a festival gig. When a friend ripped it in iTunes, it worked with tagging.

Can’t win em all

1 Like

Aye. If you’re selling cds at a festival gig, you’re probably more focussed on making sure your mates can find it on iTunes than making sure it’s properly identified by Roon’s metadata providers…

2 Likes

Recently completed a 3500 CD ripping project using dbPowerAmp along with the companion products CD Ripper and PerfectTUNES. Set up an old Windows tower PC with 8 CD burners for a cheap but effective multi-disk solution that ripped 50-60 disks per hour.

Higher ripping rates are surely possible depending on the speed of the CD drive, the age of the CD’s and the condition of the discs. Old drives, old discs and scratches slow things down dramatically.

A bottle of Meguiar’s G17220 Ultimate automotive rubbing compound took care of minor scratches. There were only 5 discs that ended up unreadable.

The collection was mostly rare and obscure jazz; about 20% had no metadata available. Google search yielded usable artwork in almost all cases, Amazon and AllMusic being the best sources. Pro tip: click on the small/thumbnail image to get access to the full resolution image.

2 Likes

dBPoweramp for CD’s and VinylStudio for vinyl. I have more vinyl than CD so the latter is vital - particularly for those LP’s in my vinyl collection that aren’t on Tidal / Qobuz.

Aye? Not another Scotsman surely :slight_smile:

Much further south… though bits of the family have made it as far north as Newcastle…

1 Like

That’s the last place I’d ever bother to put metadata, rather tag the underlying files and submit to musicbrainz

1 Like

Why are people only recommending dbPoweramp for Windows users. I have it running on my Mac and although I have only used it for 2 rips so far all seems to be fine.

dbpoweramp with Accurip for CDs.

I Love having scans of the correct art to match my cd pressing…ideally my actual item at least front and back. Pictures in Roon make the collection much more interesting. I have cheated by scraping from Discogs but the resolution isn’t great for text.

If the ripping is being done by Roon, then that’s the starting point. Clearly, if a third party solution is being used, such as dBpoweramp, then the option of giving back to the community at large via submissions to Musicbrainz is to be lauded.

Even if I were ripping via Roon, no way I’d want to be adding metadata in that clunky UI. Much, much simpler to use a tagger.

dbPowerAmp does offer a version for MacOS and it works very well. They also offer an option with both Windows and MacOS versions.

I use the MacOS version for ripping and the Windows version for editing the tags to make sure that it is done the way I want.

I recently purchased the newest version (while upgrading my laptop) and it has some nice improvements. My favorite is that it can be set up to automatically format file information in a manner that is consistent with my filing system (on my server). Another is that when I point the software to a folder, such as “Rock Music”, it takes care of identifying the subfolder (usually artist) and either placing the ripped files in an existing folder or creating a new one. Finally, there are a lot of DSD effects that can be added (or not).

Some of these enhancements may not be of interest to some people since Roon does “its own thing” with the actual tags and doesn’t seem to be concerned about the folder system we use on servers.

I do like the way all of this works. The filing system helps me to quickly find out if I already have a album that I am interested in getting (and therefore avoiding buying something I already have).

I have looked at other ripping programs and none that I know of are as good as dbPowerAmp.

1 Like

I used for a Long time EAC. Afterwards i switched to dbpoweramp. It is the Money worth. It is much more faster than EAC and even more convenient.

1 Like
  • Max, Rip and XLD on Mac
  • EAC on Windows

That said, I haven’t bought a CD in ages, and I ripped all my SACDs before moving from San Francisco to London.