What does "awaiting approval" mean?

I just posted a Barry Harris album in the “I didn’t know that one! Piano Trio” thread and it says “awaiting approval”. Never seen that before. Pretty innocuous thread, pretty innocuous post. Am I on probation or something? Did I tick off the moderators? I thought I was such a nice person, and so balanced on snake oil. Just wondering.

3 Likes

New users or users with zero trust level need all posts approved first.
However the discourse software also triggers the same needing approval for “watched words”.
Best I can figure is the software did not like Harris in your case.

1 Like

And I just checked your trust level in case something funky had occurred.
You are still good there👍

1 Like

I’d put you on probation; if only it were up to me :rofl:

I’d probably put myself on probation if it were up to me too :slight_smile:

I’m no libertarian or anything close, but man I hope that “unintentional passive censorship” doesn’t cast a pall over this cool place just because Discord has a default list of stuff we oughtn’t say! (those who know me know I’m pretty big on trying to be civil). I could see a approval check for the word “snake” maybe making sense though :wink:

-j

2 Likes

Censorship is fine on a privately owned forum such as this. They just don’t want any political discussions and some other things, I suppose. Not a big deal to me. Discourse does misinterpret things sometimes.

Well, I’m all for the company and the mods setting and enforcing whatever rules they want to, and I’m pretty cool with them (though I certainly wouldn’t call them censorship as they’re construed today). But having to type B*rry H*rris because of the VPs surname? Yikes.

It’s a nit not worth worrying about.

I responded with the UK meanings of the VPs surname but that got put on hold too. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Not being American it took me ages to figure out why Harris would be political.
It means your a.r.s.e in cockney rhyming slang and I therefore thought discourse was further ranging :smile:

Or cannabis; Harris Tweed =weed

1 Like

It’s not necessary to do that but admittedly there is some latency until a human validates the post.

There is an AI based system running but for watched words we switched to moderator review to check context… it does introduce a delay of course and it’s more work for the mods / admin but the forum as a whole is a better place for it. Less flagging, less fallout, …

It’s unfortunately that genuine posters are affected but the forum is now a much better place to hangout.

4 Likes