What does Roon do with 5.1 audio?

Roon Core Machine

Apple MacBook Pro (15" 2017)
Ventura 13.3.1 (a)
3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Western Digital 18TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive (Music library storage)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Hub 3 set to modem mode…
ASUS ZenWiFi AX router connected to laptop via cat-6 ethernet cables.
Virgin Media M350 Fibre Broadband

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 4b with Allo BOSS DAC connected to router via ethernet & to analogue amp via standard phono.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Not actually a technical issue, for a change.

I have some FLAC files in 5.1 (isolated soundtracks ripped from my Alien Anthology blu-rays).

Seeing as I only have a normal stereo hi-fi set up, when I play them will Roon just merge everything into a stereo left & right signal or will it pick 2 of the tracks & ignore the rest?

You have the option to choose between downmixing (the default) or dropping channels. See:

PS I’ve moved your question to the #roon category since it’s not really a question for the Support team…

1 Like

Thanks, I wasn’t sure where to put it. And thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

You want to make sure that when opening the settings menu for each desired output device you enable the “Channel Layout: 2.0” option. Then you can choose either to make Roon create a downmix or drop channels.

1 Like

Is the downmix standardized for the various formats or is this up to the Roon software to decide how to downmix?

An interesting add on - what does Roon do with Tidal’s 360 content. I have headphones that support the format

It doesn’t support it. Maybe asks tidal to send normal files?

I listen 360 via the Tidal app through Roon it comes as std stereo ASFAIK

It’s quite fun but Ill carry n with the Tidal app. I can Boogy like a youngster :smiling_imp:

I did try the 360 but not for me :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.